Saving Money on Scrapbooking

Category Scrapbooking
Scrapbooking papers, embellishments, and scissors.
Scrapbooking is a fun hobby and a great way to preserve photos. With all of the different papers and embellishments it can be quite expensive. This is a guide about saving money on scrapbooking.

I have tons of pictures in photo albums but I recently met up with a new challenge, scrapbooking! While shopping this weekend I found a scrapbook at a tent sale for $2.00! It has 100 or more pages, is leather but has one drawback, it says Disneyland on the front. Oh well, who'll notice?

The price is motivation enough to get me started. The supplies I used were scrapbooking paper and decorative gift wrapping paper, craft foam, paper glue sticks, tape, scissors and scissors which cut a decorative edge, all my old cards and photos.

With a lot of cutting and pasting I have come up with my first holiday page. I'm really excited about getting started and wanted to pass this along so that others might be inspired to do the same. This brings back that old childhood desire to cut and paste. Only now at my age my family will think I've reverted back to my childhood. At least I'll have something to do when they put me in the nursing home!

Sharon, KY

Top Comment

Hi, what a pretty page, you have done a great job. Have you thought about recovering the front of your scrapbook, I have done them with material and they turn out great. You could even do a photo page and glue it in the cover. Happy scrapping.....

Top Comment

Look for scrapbooking supplies wherever you go. For example, you can buy 100 brass brads for less than a dollar at the local discount store and then customize them to match your layout with acrylic paint and/or sandpaper. Or look in the clearance bin for ribbon, fiber, fabric remnants, or bouquets of silk flowers that you can take apart and attach to your cards and layouts with brads, eyelets, bottle caps, or buttons.

You'll find all kinds of treasures at office supply, hardware, and dollar stores, as well as flea markets and garage sales.

By Meari

Top Comment

For all the money that is spent on supplies, for all the time spent shopping, for all the time spent copying or using a paid artist's work, NO ONE will have a more beautiful, original or interesting work of art than you.

The interesting part is that each piece has a story. Isn't that neat? You hand down the stories to your family and they will be telling them--this oral history--for generations. Another interesting thing is that if you write down those stories, neither you nor the life of your times will be lost.

Carrie the Oracle

p.s. You may cover the cover of the book, and then tell THAT story. Someday, someone will uncover the "Disney," and feel sheepish that the story is true. It will make all the other stories true, too.

Top Comment

Oops I did forget to say, if you going to have photos make sure the paper is acid free to keep the photos in good condition longer.

For custom scrapbooking paper line your scanner or copier bed with a sheet of clear plastic (to protect it). Next take anything you'd like to copy like shells, small stones, pasta, flowers, grass, cookies . . .

This is a great time of the year to get organized and many people have boxes of photographs, keepsakes and other memorabilia that they will get to "someday". Here are tips and tricks for saving time and money on scrapbooking. Post your own advice here.

Harvest Trinkets from Clothing

Save any little trinkets such as leftover ribbon pieces and extra buttons. My toddler daughter's clothes usually end up getting stained and ripped from playing so before I throw them away I strip them of rhinestones, patches, and cute detailing.

By Roxanne

Use Scraps from Photos

I keep all the photos that are scenery or the parts of photos that we cut away, and use a punch, maple leaf, heart, circle, etc. and make these shapes and use them to fill in and decorate blank areas. I also use the heart and circle to punch out faces and make pages of just faces.

By Dolly

Only Buy What You Need

When you first get started scrapbooking, the array of products that are available is dizzying. It seems like you need special cutters, fancy paper packs, and other doodads. I bought a scrapbooking "kit" at JoAnn's to get me started and nearly none of it was to my taste or style so I wound up not using most of it. Go slow and use what you already have on hand.

If you have friends who are also scrapbooking, consider having a scrapbook party. That way you can see what other people are doing for ideas and share equipment. That way you can pick the things that are really going to help you and leave the rest at the store.

By Jess

Frugal Tips For Scrapbooking

First of all, I purchase any newer supplies (including scrapbooks!) at the local Dollar Tree. I just purchased three, beautiful scrapbooks (one teal, one purple, and one pink. All have a handmade paper border down one side, a beautiful background of light-colored leaves and beautiful, and gauzy ribbon tied on the book's spine!).

Believe it or not, though, most of the supplies I use are completely free! I run a freebie group (this is my second) on YahooGroups and so, my "job" is to find freebies. I will just give an example of the items (brand-new!) that can be had for free: stickers, adhesive, pens, pencils, markers, crayons, many kinds of papers, envelopes, books, magazines, many types of material, yarn, etc. All of these items, I've received.

If you buy new, there's no reason to shop anywhere other than Dollar stores, yard sales and reasonably-priced thrift stores. Don't forget friends and family, too! Ask around. You may be surprised at what you find!

By Heather21230

Check Your Local Thrift Store

I am the supervisor for a thrift store and recycle center for my county's shelter workshop. We get tons of paper in each week for recycling, and often I will see picture books come through that are beyond resale quality, so I set them aside and strip the pages, going through to see if any of them can be used in my scrapbooking projects. We get greeting cards, magazines, puzzles, books, stickers, all kinds of stuff.

What I can't use may be good for another person, so I have taken to making "scrap bags". The ziplock baggies filled with usable materials sell for $2.00 and help to support my limited abilities employees in their effort to have jobs. My best find was a set of wallpaper display/sample books. They are turning out to be great resources. I wonder if the store would save the next round back for me?

My tip for storage? I found one day at a yard sale, a set of three beautiful "nesting boxes". They are woven to look like square baskets. Once I fill them with my pics, and materials, I can stack them in the living room, in plain sight and they add a nice look to my room. No one can see my brainstorms, and I know just where I left it and can access it quickly.

By Dedeswrkshop

Try Heritage Makers Software

I used to save greeting cards I received, gift bags, etc. to reuse as pieces for embellishments. I did that for my oldest son's life book. Then I made my second son's life book digitally with Heritage Makers and got entirely hooked. It was much cheaper and I like the hardcover product. Plus it's so easy to just start the computer and not have to haul out all the stuff.

I take pictures of fabrics or items that I then upload to use as embellishments in the books I make for the boys. Plus HM, like many other companies, has programs where you can sell some product to earn free stuff for yourself. So now I support my scrapping addiction at 0 cost.

By Emily

Feel free to post your ideas below!

Here's a money saving tip for all you scrapbookers out there. instead of buying those expensive scrapbook paper pads, get something for free and is earth friendly - wallpaper books! They are perfect for scrapbooking and most places that sell wallpaper throw those books away. Help save the environment by calling those stores and getting unique, one of a kind papers for your photo memories.

By gilindy from Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

I love buying scrapbook paper, but some seem a little pricey, especially the glitter paper. I got the idea to add my own touch to the paper with glitter glue and dimensional fabric paint.

I scrapbook all the time and I use them as gifts for family and friends. This is a hobby that can be very expensive, after you purchase paper and embellishments. I decided to save money on supplies I started cutting out objects and lettering from catalogs that we receive in the mail.

Easy way to make your own grungy background paper for cards or scrapbooks.

Finished papers.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

While I don't scrapbook, my new sewing machine gave me tons of scrapbooking materials, if I was inclined! The manufacturer published a second full manual in a language I don't speak or understand.

After getting into scrapbooking myself I have come to a conclusion that this would be the perfect gift for a special occasion, and I am starting now to build up my "stash" for my daughter-in-law's Christmas present.

Junk mail just got useful! Since I starting scrapbooking, I began saving colored, large backs of envelopes from my junk mail. It is great for backgrounds. I have also used these "scraps" for card-making.

While looking for a flexible ruler to use in scrapbook or card making projects, I found they were quite expensive. Even checked the drafting supplies. Then my husband wandered over in the fabric section and found exactly what I wanted at a much lower price!

eBay is an inexpensive way to stock up on paper and supplies for scrapbooking. I bought several packs of paper with 200 sheets for under $10.00, with shipping it was still cheaper than the Dollar Store or Dollar Tree.