Troubleshooting a Heating System Blowing Cool Air

I'm freezing. I have two AC/heating units; one operates the front part of my home and the other the back. The back has five vents of which two blow cool air. That makes me even colder. I don't know whether the vents have come a loose or maybe a squirrel has damaged it. What can I do?

By Nicole from Dallas, TX

I have a similar problem with our mobile home. I went into the crawlspace, and found that a main duct that carries air into one side of the house came apart. I tried to fix it, but I need a repairman to do the job. The tough part is finding a technician who will actually go down into the crawlspace.

I don't know where your ducts are located (upstairs? downstairs?), but someone needs to repair the one that's allowing the warm air to leak.

I work in the office of a hvac company and we find that 80-85% of repair calls are due to lack of maintenance. Furnaces and ac's need to be tuned up once a year (just ask any manufacturer) and it takes a pro to do this. This isn't just changing your filter, this is oiling the parts and thorough, thorough cleaning and checking fuses, etc. Something that the ordinary home owner is not equipped to do. The average cost is $150 per unit and many places have sales. It will save you a lot of money in the long run and please, please, please do not object to a service fee for someone to come out and diagnose the problem even if you think you know what the problem is unless you're a pro. It costs these companies a lot of money to run their trucks and pay their employees. Trucks do not run on air. Maintaining your furnaces and air conditioners is no different than maintaining your car.

We have top notch technicians who get training every week to keep updated and we are all periodically drug tested and criminal background checks are run on all our employees. We would not send someone to your home that we would not want in our own homes. So, don't just look at what it costs, look also at what you're getting for your money. Did the company show up on time or did you have to wait all day and maybe they showed up and maybe they didn't. Our company has an on time guarantee or we pay you. That's right. If we don't show up in the time frame we say we will, we pay you. So do your homework on who you hire and ask questions. Hope this helps.

Home and Garden Repair Home Air ConditionersJanuary 26, 2011
A/C Heater Vent
Ford F150 Air Conditioner Blowing Hot Air
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
Wood Burning Stove
Heating with Wood
Insulating Your Home, Insulation Ready to Be Installed
Insulating Your Home
🎄
🍂