Stain Around a Bathtub Drain

I clean my bathroom almost every week but i've noticed a bright green ring around the drain in my bathtub and sink. What could this be?

Laci from MS

Answers

Bright green, copper. My husband is a plumber and although he is already asleep and I can't consult him, I know when he works with copper cuz' he comes home green. Maybe you have older pipes? Find some copper cleaner or I think that Bon Ami (or something like that) does the trick.

Answer

I'm not big on cleaning, never have been, but I do clean. I've got that ground in thing going on around my bathtub drain. I can't get rid of it. I believe the tub is plastic or maybe fiberglass. I've tried Comet, that Eraser thing from Mr. Clean. I even tried that rock hard thing you have to wet down first, but it nearly made a hole in the tub. My neighbor had the same problem, but I think he left it till the day he moved. Anyone have any suggestions?

Trish from Riverside, CA

Stain Around a Bathtub Drain

If it's a reddish orange color, it's rust, maybe whitish yellow, it could be lime. not the fruit, the mineral. It's in your water, won't hurt you, but you will need a special cleaner for it, unless someone else knows a homemade recipe for it. But what you need to get is something like CLR product, i think they have it at walmart. Whatever you get, make sure it says on the bottle the mineral you want to remove. Hope this helps (01/30/2007)

By Designersheets

Stain Around a Bathtub Drain

G'day, there is a product i have just found called "ORANGE POWER" shower, bath & tile cleaner which removes soap scum, stops mould growing & gets rid of rust, water marks and calcium build up and has no harsh fumes just the smell of oranges. My house I rent had bad water and rust stains in the tub and around the drain, I prefer to use environmental products & the ones before didn't work until I found this one and everytime I clean the bath I have a big smile on my face and do a little dance "sad " I know but it looks a lot better and nearly new again except where the enamel has been worn.I have been using this product for nearly a month now. I hope this helps. (01/31/2007)

By Lambchop Western Australia

Stain Around a Bathtub Drain

I clean for a living. It sounds to me like you have lime deposit. All you have to do is plug it up and soak it in white or cider vinegar for a day or two.
Good luck, keep us posted. (02/01/2007)

By Suitsme

Stain Around a Bathtub Drain

If it's rust, what you need is naval jelly (lol not jelly from your navel).
When I lived in Washington state I had well water with a lot of rust in it. Had to use this all the time. I don't know if it can be use on plastic. Be sure to read the label. You can get it at any hardware store. (02/01/2007)

By msettamae2

Stain Around a Bathtub Drain

Use "THE WORKS". It takes rust off IMMEDIATELY! You don't even have to scrub! It a a toilet cleaner and it's like a miracle, I SWEAR! We've got a fiberglass tub and very hard water but this stuff REALLY WORKS!!!!! (02/02/2007)

By Lily

Stain Around a Bathtub Drain

Baking soda takes a lot of stains off. I am not sure it will work on this one, but worth a try. Also, if Comet won't do it, there are a couple other cleansers that may. I have a porcelain tub that really needs new glazing, and in the meantime, stains very easily. I have found ZUD cleanser or Barkeeper's Friend, another cleanser, are good for stubborn stains. (02/02/2007)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Stain Around a Bathtub Drain

I'm trying the white vinegar solution at the moment. I filled the tub as far up as I need it (it's a bit above the drain level), and added three small bottles to it while the water was running. After one or two days of soaking, I'm thinking the vinegar loosens the rust, lime, etc. but I still need to clean it more? Probably Comet or the CLR? I'm borrowing another solution from a friend and trying to find Orange Power also, just in case. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll keep you posted. (02/03/2007)

By Trish M

Stain Around a Bathtub Drain

The vinegar worked great! I still needed to scrub a bit (used some Comet), but it looks almost like new again! I wish my old neighbor with the same problem was still here, he could do this too. Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm so glad I found this site! (02/06/2007)

By Trish

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomFebruary 12, 2007
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
Clearing a Clogged Bathtub Drain, Pulling Hair From Clogged Drain
Clearing a Clogged Bathtub Drain
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 7, 2016 at 12:25:08 AM on 10.0.1.51 in 296 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.