Sawyer (Lab/Shepherd/Boxer/Pit Bull Mix)

Sawyer is 1 year, 1 month old. So far we've figured out he's: lab/shephard/boxer/pit bull mix. We adopted him from the MI Humane Society last April.

We had been looking to adopt a rescue dog for a couple of years, and we got to the point where we were submitting applications to rescue groups, but none would return our calls or emails.

One day my husband stopped in at the Humane Society and met Sawyer (they were calling him Ike at the time). Luckily it was closing, so he was able to come home, tell me all about him, and we went back first thing the next morning so I could meet him too.

We spent about an hour sitting with him, he was a stray, and he looked so timid, but we agreed there was something about him that we liked. As soon as we said that they had us signing paperwork and he was going home with us! Not quite what I was expecting to happen, but it was the best decision we've made. He's a great puppy!

He likes to run, especially when he sees rabbits, or deer. He used to chase after birds, but now he mostly points on them. He's a chewer, so we go through a lot of dog toys. But he is a puppy, so we don't mind. Get him near water and he'll spend all day swimming after toys thrown in for him.

We have a couple of apple trees in the back yard. In the summer we tried to teach him fetch with his dog toys, but he wouldn't bring them back. One time I threw an apple just for the fun of it. He went and got it, then brought it back and dropped it at my feet. So I tried it again, and he did it again. So that became our daily play time activity for him.

He loves to sit at the front window looking out at the yard for birds, and passing traffic. I've got a wonderful photo I want to submit of him doing just that.

Sometimes we'll play hide and seek in the house. My husband or I will go and duck behind the bed, then we'll tell Sawyer to find whoever is hiding. He'll carefully walk through the house looking for us, then when he figures out where we're at he'll come charging around the corner as if to say "Ha! I found you!" He's tried hiding on us a few times by pushing behind a throw that we have hanging on the couch. I have a great picture of that too.

He has beautiful doggy eyes, but he's got the eyebrows of Uncle Leo (from Seinfeld).

In the picture I'm submitting Sawyer had been sitting on the floor watching the work crew working on the road in front of the house. He was there for about 20 minutes, and his bottom must have been hurting, because he got up, walked around for a bit, then went and sat down on the couch to continue watching the crew. This is him sitting on the couch, if you look out the window you'll see the road crew.

By Maria from Mason, MI

He is a sport!!! I adore that picture of him sitting on the sofa looking out the window! Give him a big hug and kiss for me.

what a wonderful picture. :)

I love the picture!!! He's a very smart dog.

Good for you for adopting Sawyer. Wish more folks would do that. There are so many wonderful dogs languishing at shelters. We have a lab/chow mix named Toby that we adopted 5 years ago. He was a year old and had been in 3 homes. He is a character, very good pooch and we love him dearly.

That is such a cute picture. I am a dog lover too. I have a very spoiled Jack Russell. He is so devoted & smart. It is so wonderful when nice people like you adopt a dog that really needs a home like that. You will be blessed.

Fantastic picture! He looks like a very smart Dog.

I too have a few dogs, not as smart as yours but...

"My dog can beat up your dog" : ) lol

Auntie...

We have a dog that looks almost like yours. He is almost one year old and weighs 80+ lbs. One vet said Boxer-Pit and the other said Shepherd mix, with maybe a little pit. He is big though, and has a white chest, four white feet, and looks almost like your dog. I would love to see another picture of your dog as it might help us identify the ancestry of our gorgeous dog, whom we rescued from a shelter in California. We are smitten with Jake and he is a gentle guy. Keri (shastaboz AT charter.net)

Boxer Pitbull Mix
Boxer and Pit Bull Mix Photos
Pets Pet PagesFebruary 12, 2007
Old Chemistry Equipment
Uses for Old Chemistry Equipment
Pit Bull Mix
Pit Bull Mix Photos
German Shepherd Mix
German Shepherd Mix Breed Information and Photos
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy
🎄