Transplanting Daffodil Bulbs

About 18 years ago I planted daffodils around new house. My crepe myrtles have matured into trees so the bulbs are in shaded areas now. I noticed that this week one clump is blooming profusely but most others have one or no blooms. As you can see in the photo, the clumps in the back have few blooms but this one gets more sun but fewer blooms.

While this clump may get a little more sun, I may have also watered this area a little more during the fall. Can fall watering affect the number of blooms in spring? I plan to transplant most of these clumps when I re-landscape my backyard and get them in more sun. When should I move them?

Robin from Meridian, Texas

You probably need to dig up the bulbs and seperate them. The bulbs will continue to multiply each year until they will no longer bloom like they used to.

This is my question and when it was posted, it was changed. This clump gets more sun and more water but another with more sun did not bloom as profusely.

Yes, I agree they need to be divided.

About transplanting your bulbs: I am sure you know to let the folage pretty much die down before cutting it back. This is how the bulbs get their strength for blooming next year. You can transplant your bulbs at this time, or you can take them up and put then in a cool (not refrigerated),dark place and plant them up in the fall. I like to put mine in a cardboard box, scattered so they dry and don't mold.When they get too crowded, as yours surely have after 18 years, they will not bloom as well.

Good luck. jsham, AR

I agree with everyone else, they need to be divided. While daffodils do best when transplanted early in the spring or in the fall, they are amazingly forgiving and you can do it at any time without killing the bulbs. They need to be in a cold environment to bloom, but if they don't bloom the year you transplant them, they'll do it the following year. Allow the leaves to die back before trimming. I make sure that mine get some water all year long as the roots still take in nutrients. I have several planted in both the sun and in shade, and all bloom. Maybe they'd have more blooms if I moved them, but I have plenty to cut and enjoy. These are my favorite flower; you basically plant the bulbs and forget about them, and they offer the most wonderful flowers year after year.

If the bulbs have been in the same area for many years they may need to be separated. Allow foliage to die back, dig bulbs and replant. It may take another year before you have really NICE flowers again.

Daffodils
Transplanting Daffodil Bulbs
Home and Garden Gardening BulbsFebruary 17, 2009
Daffodils
Buying Daffodil Bulbs
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent), A light bulb.
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent)
Transplanting Bulbs
Transplanting Bulbs
Growing Peruvian Daffodil, Spider Flower, Basket Lily, Spider Lily
Growing Peruvian Daffodil (Spider Flower, Basket Lily)
🎄
🍂