Cell Phone Tips

I have noticed that cell phone and texting tips are rarely discussed and that people have to learn the "rules' all on their own. I'd like to share a little of what I have picked up.

Familiarize yourself with other peoples cell and text plans. One person may have unlimited of everything while someone else gets charged every time you call them or send a text. Its nice to know that when you contact someone they aren't picking up the bill for it.

Leave voice mails only if it is something that can't wait. Checking voice mail can be time intensive only to have someone on the other end asking if you watched The Bachelor last night. A text or an email would suffice.

Do not mark anything urgent unless it is. Thinking you will get a faster response. If it's not urgent they will take longer getting back to you than normal.

Do not be mad at someone whom you can't reach now. Cell phones are for the owners convenience, not the callers.

Do not give out anyone else's phone number unless you ask. Ever. Cell phone numbers are not public and its never your decision to issue them to others.

Excuse yourself from a group when taking a call.

Turn your cell phone to off or vibrate when the situation calls for it. I have been to many weddings and funerals only to have the latest hip hop song come wailing through causing everyone embarrassment.

Texting is a great, silent way to communicate with others when you are in a public place. Use it. No one wants to hear about your nannies ob/gyn problems while having a latte.

Save yourself money by becoming familiar with abbreviations used in texting. Most text plans have limited characters per text. By doing this more information can be relayed in one text as opposed to 10. Example: Omg thats gr8! = Oh my gosh, that is great. Google it and experiment.

Do not forward silly texts and chain messages esp those ending with" if you don't forward this to 10 of you peeps (friends) you will be struck down by the plague". Unless you know the receiver is into veiled threats.

Just like any technology there are rules and guidelines to getting along well with others. Many times we don't even know our actions are perceived as rude. It is up to us to educate ourselves on the rights and the wrongs if we are going to participate.

Please educate your children with the manners portion and let them educate you with the slang, the technology, and all the fun things you can do with your cell phone.

By lostinthe from Missouri

Editor's Note: Do you have any cell phone tips or etiquette to add? Please post them here.

When I set my cell phone on vibrate I can't tell when it vibrates if it's in my purse. To solve that I simply place it in my bra between my breasts. It gets my attention and embarasses my daughter to boot LOL.

Turn your cell phone on vibrate when you are in a public place, such as a movie theater. Also, don't talk on your phone when you are called into the doctor's office. If you are on the phone when your name is called, end the conversation. Same goes for when you are in the checkout line of any store. Use your earphones when you are in public, and talk in a low voice; others may not want to hear about your love life, etc.

I always keep my cell phone turned off, unless I have told someone to call me. I do carry two pagers and if needed, (and I am very careful who gets both pager numbers and cell phone number), I am paged first, then I call back. My cell phone is used mainly for outgoing calls and long distance since I do not have long distance on my home phone. I had the text messaging feature turned off on my phone since the marjority of texts seem to be nonsense. If you need me, page me. And have you noticed that people tend to get very loud when on cell phones in stores, I can hear them three aisles away.

LI Roe

@Frazzled Leslie You made my day with this comment that is for Cell Phone Tips but caught my attention. I laugh on your behalf because I have also read that if you place the cellphone near your body the radiation can be harmful. My Straight Talk cellphone is either on my desk or if I go to a Dr.s office I just turn it off and tell my love one's am at the doctors. But anyway Frazzled Leslie this is just a comment, if you feel comfortable, just put it where you hear it. Thanks for the laugh.

Cell Phone Etiquette, Woman on Cell Phone in Movie Theater
Cell Phone Etiquette
Better Living FriendshipMarch 10, 2010
Cleaning a Cell Phone
Cleaning a Cell Phone
Pink Silicone Cell Phone Case
Cleaning a Silicone Cell Phone Case
striped knit sock like phone pouch
Making a Cell Phone Holder
Cell Phone User Making call with Card
Saving Money on Phone Cards
🎄