Small ClaimsLegal

Contacting a Lawyer After a Fall in Apartment

Category Small Claims

I am renting an apartment and I have slipped and had to go to a doctor. Should I see a lawyer?

By Ron from Pompano Beach

That would be up to you, but I don't see how it was anybody else's fault other than yours. If it happened in the common area of the building and there was a puddle of water it would be a different matter. But in your own apartment, unless there was a flaw in the floor it would be your fault.

Anonymous

If you slipped in the common areas even then it would depend on the circumstances. It would have had to have been caused by complete recklessness on the part of the landlord. I've lived in plenty of apartment complexes in my lifetime (and visited many stores, restaurants, churches, etc) and know better to be careful when I see water or ice or something out of place on walking surfaces so why should that be someone elses fault when I am not paying attention and slip and fall?

If you slipped within your apartment then you definitely weren't being careful and paying attention. Not trying to be mean but in that case you could see a lawyer to sue yourself. ;-)

No, not your landlords fault.

Was the fall the landlord's fault or through some carelessness of your own? He can't take responsibility for your tripping, but it may be his responsibility if stairs are rotting or if tiles are loose.

Even if there were water or an obstruction on the floor, the landlord would have to have been given reasonable notice to have had time to rectify the situation. your best bet is to talk to a lawyer. It does not sound as if you will get much under any circumstance with the new laws in place regarding plaintiffs suing. do not count on buying a home or going on vacation with any winnings. If you are all right now and there is no dangerous condition, why are you suing?