Fall Fairy Costume

Here are the instructions to make a cute costume for your child for Halloween.

• tutu (or fairy skirt, as my daughter calls them)
  • tulle in fall colors - I used 6 inch rolls (15 yards/roll, 4 rolls total)
  • 1 inch ribbon in coordinating color (for waistband)
  • 2-3 coordinating colored curling ribbon
  • plastic sunflower
  • fall themed wire garland

Measure child's waist and cut a ribbon 3x that measurement. Make a mark in the middle, this will be the center of the waistband. From that point, measure half the waist measurement on each side. Tie knots to mark end of waist.

Cut tulle strips twice the desired length. My daughter wears a 4T, and I used approx 30 strips of tulle to make her skirt. To attach to the waist band, fold tulle strip in half and form a loop under the ribbon. Pull the ends through the loop, forming a knot. Do this all the way to the knots on both sides of the ribbon/waistband. Once you have the desired fullness of the skirt, go back and double knot the strips of tulle.

Tie a few strands of curling ribbon around waist band for a little sparkle. Hot glue or sew (or pin!) a plastic sunflower to front waist. Skirt will tie around waist in the back.

Tip: I tie the ribbon around my thigh while tying the tulle. It keeps the ribbon in place and helps judge fullness.

For the headdress, we found orange with fall leaves at a dollar store. Any Halloween themed will do. Use the same curling ribbon and tulle as used in the skirt. Measure child's head and cut garland to size. Tie tulle and ribbons to the garland.

Wings can be made by shaping wire hangers or thin wire and covering with pantyhose. Or you can luck out like me and find them for $1 at the Dollar Tree! Pair with a dark shirt, tights and shoes!

By Laura from Columbus, OH

Adorable costume & adorable child.

Little Girl Dressed in Fairy Costume
Making a Fairy Costume
Crafts Halloween CostumesOctober 29, 2009
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Phantom Of The Opera Costume
Making a Batgirl Costume
Girl Dressed as a Nurse
Making a Nurse Costume
young girl dressed as tooth fairy
Making a Tooth Fairy Costume