Soaking Clothes in Vinegar

I heard that soaking new clothes in plain white vinegar helps the colors last longer. If you are familiar with this please tell me for how long should I soak the clothes?

Mary from Chicago

I have hear this before. What I remember is that you run the unwashed, new clothes through the washing machine with one cup (I think it's one cup) of white vinegar.

I have also heard that a cup of baking soda will do the same thing.

I haven't done this, but next time I have new, colored clothes I will, but I won't wash them right away. I'll let them air dry and then wash them.

Good luck!

The vinegar is helpful with the natural, herbal coloring clothing. One-two spoons with the cold water for the rinse cycle help to prevent the color mix and discoloration of the soap and the hot water. This method is popular in Slavic countries. Also you can rinse your hair with the water with one spoon of vinegar to dilute the soap and let your hear be shiny.

Yes it does. I used to make and sell tie-dye in the 60's early 70's. This is how we "locked in the color/dye."

Also when you buy new blue jeans, red or black clothing. Take the BRAND NEW item and stick it in the sink over night with one cup of vinegar to the filled sink. You could do this in your washer too.

Consumer Advice Clothing AdviceNovember 19, 2008
vinegar and baking soda
Uses for Vinegar
Putting on Jeans
Saving Money on Clothes While Dieting
Vinegar Bottle
Removing Vinegar Smell from Carpet
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub