Repairing a Water Damage to a Camp Trailer

I need advice on how to redo a camper trailer. It's a pull behind trailer that you pull to the camp site. It is fully contained and sleeps 8 people. The problem is that somehow the 2 windows in the top of the trailer started leaking and has been leaking all between the walls and into the floor to the point that it is rotted and needs to be redone with new materials. I also need to repair the windows somehow.

I've never had to rebuild a trailer like this and don't know where to start or even the materials to use. Can someone help me and/or point me in the right direction to get knowledge and to get started with all the repair work. Thanks.

By Beverly from Havana, AK

Answers

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

My husband used to build campers for a travel trailer builder, this is what he said to do.

The vents on top will have to be completely removed before you start. Start tearing the ceiling out from the inside, remove the insulation. That way you can see what boards are actually rotted and what else may have to be replaced. You can get 2x4's and rip them the same thickness as what is already in there, then you can replace them or some you may be able to put the strips you cut next to the ones that are bad and screw the new board into the old board. You can follow the same thing for the walls.

He has even repaired his own camper trailers. Hope this helps!

Home and Garden Repair OtherJune 8, 2010
Painted Rock Camp Craft
Games and Craft Ideas for Camp
Sky Blue Retro Travel Trailer 3
Buying a Used Travel Trailer
Kids at summer camp.
Packing for Summer Camp
Tablet with Water Damage
Repairing Water Damage in Electronics
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 8:50:00 AM on 10.0.0.113 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.