Giving Money as a Wedding Gift

Giving money as a wedding gift is generally acceptable in many cultures. This is a guide about giving money as a wedding gift.

bride holding money
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 21, 2010 Flag

Our daughter's wedding is coming up in 2 weeks. We gave her and her fiance a substantial amount of money to use however they chose on the wedding and reception. We are now considering whether we "should" also give another substantial cash wedding gift, or simply a less expensive, but meaningful gift of some sort. Any suggestions/experiences anyone can share? Also, any ideas about meaningful gifts from parents to the bride and groom that are not too costly?

By Lynne

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The gift of money for the wedding will be a memory and a treasure for this couple; it is an honor to bestow upon a couple the money from their parents to give them a beautiful wedding and along with that comes gratitude and love from the couple which cannot be replaced in a parent's heart. Enjoy the wedding and the elegance of the wedding and the unity of this couple. Give the bride a family cookbook or a collection of family favorites and her husband's family recipes.

I think some family heirloom might be a meaningful gift. Maybe a piece of jewelry for your daughter that belongs to you and that she can pass to her daughter on her wedding day would be most appropriate. If you want to include your son-in-law, then maybe a quilt made by grandma or some family treasure your daughter has always loved would be good.

There are some great ideas here, love the recipe book,and heirloom pictures etc. I remember when one of my siters got married my parents paid for the wedding, because that is "old school" lol. However, my parent gave them my grandmothers China, they were so thrilled! Also it was tradition in my family that each of us girls (there were 5 of us) were given a Hope Chest when we were 9, then gifts for years after that to fill it. When I married in 1984 I had so many wonderful things!

Related to this topic, I recently began offering "Getting Started on the Right Foot" Financial Planning and coaching for newlyweds and engaged couples.

Parents of the bride and groom most frequently purchase Financial Planning as a gift for the bride and groom, because it is truly a gift that "keeps on giving" for years to come!

Statistically, money and finances are the top issues causing marital discord, and differing financial goals can result in chaos. I spend time talking to the couple, helping them establishing and prioritizing their mutual financial goals.

I assist with a range of topics, including: analyzing employer benefits and retirement plans; combining assets; reviewing debts and credit reports; creating a budget; buying a home; updating wills; and reviewing insurance coverage.

I am interested to hear thoughts as to whether you would value this gift and how you think it would best be marketed and received. You can learn more here:

http://www.ascendfinancial.net/2012/02/starting-off-on-right-foot.html

Read More Answers...

July 27, 2006 Flag

I haven't been to a wedding in several years. Does anyone know what amount that most people give as a monetary gift?

Like everyone says, It depends on alot of things. Your income, travel distance, the wedding venue, and your status with the nuptuals. I stumbled across this site it calculates the suggest amount you should give for a wedding. Seems pretty acurate.

Oh yeah, here is the link. Don't yell at me if they are wrong....

www.theweddingenvelope.com and www.hmsig.com

CC

It all depends on your financial situation. You can only give what you have and the norm these days don't follow.

Our son and daughter-in-law received an unusual gift -- U S Postal stamps. At first we thought it was a strange gift but then thought about it and it was a good one and we remember it even 15 years later. They didn't have to purchase stamps for thank you notes and had postage for many months. It may seem strange at first but very inventive.

Most reception halls charge between $75-$150 per plate. Coming as a single person I would give $100, as a couple $200.

Read More Answers...

April 4, 2005 Flag

My daughter is getting married in June and I just returned over $100 worth of items that she got as double presents. Considering that, I recommend giving gift cards or money to the bride and groom. It saves time for them and also they can get whatever they need.

By Robin

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Weddings GiftsMarch 15, 2013
Plant wedding favors.
Giving Plants as Wedding Favors
Two tiered wedding cake with flowers on top.
Saving Money on a Wedding Cake
Colorful Bridal Bouquets
Choosing Wedding Colors
Wedding Dress Sale square
Saving Money on a Wedding Dress
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 4:59:24 PM on 10.0.0.214 in 894 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.