Giving Money as a Wedding Gift

Giving money as a wedding gift is generally acceptable in many cultures. This is a guide about giving money as a wedding gift.

August 21, 2010 Flag

Our daughter's wedding is coming up in 2 weeks. We gave her and her fiance a substantial amount of money to use however they chose on the wedding and reception. We are now considering whether we "should" also give another substantial cash wedding gift, or simply a less expensive, but meaningful gift of some sort. Any suggestions/experiences anyone can share? Also, any ideas about meaningful gifts from parents to the bride and groom that are not too costly?

By Lynne

Since you have already helped greatly with funds to help pay for the wedding and reception I personally think all that is really necessary now are huge heartfelt hugs, sweet tears and well wishes on the wedding day and maybe two short handwritten notes from the heart, one for your daughter and one for your son in law, writing shared by both you and your husband and slipped in to their hands when they are leaving the reception for their honeymoon. :-)

The gift of money for the wedding will be a memory and a treasure for this couple; it is an honor to bestow upon a couple the money from their parents to give them a beautiful wedding and along with that comes gratitude and love from the couple which cannot be replaced in a parent's heart. Enjoy the wedding and the elegance of the wedding and the unity of this couple. Give the bride a family cookbook or a collection of family favorites and her husband's family recipes.

I think some family heirloom might be a meaningful gift. Maybe a piece of jewelry for your daughter that belongs to you and that she can pass to her daughter on her wedding day would be most appropriate. If you want to include your son-in-law, then maybe a quilt made by grandma or some family treasure your daughter has always loved would be good.

There are some great ideas here, love the recipe book,and heirloom pictures etc. I remember when one of my siters got married my parents paid for the wedding, because that is "old school" lol. However, my parent gave them my grandmothers China, they were so thrilled! Also it was tradition in my family that each of us girls (there were 5 of us) were given a Hope Chest when we were 9, then gifts for years after that to fill it. When I married in 1984 I had so many wonderful things!

July 27, 2006 Flag

I haven't been to a wedding in several years. Does anyone know what amount that most people give as a monetary gift?

Like everyone says, It depends on alot of things. Your income, travel distance, the wedding venue, and your status with the nuptuals. I stumbled across this site it calculates the suggest amount you should give for a wedding. Seems pretty acurate.

Oh yeah, here is the link. Don't yell at me if they are wrong.... and

It all depends on your financial situation. You can only give what you have and the norm these days don't follow.

Our son and daughter-in-law received an unusual gift -- U S Postal stamps. At first we thought it was a strange gift but then thought about it and it was a good one and we remember it even 15 years later. They didn't have to purchase stamps for thank you notes and had postage for many months. It may seem strange at first but very inventive.

Most reception halls charge between $75-$150 per plate. Coming as a single person I would give $100, as a couple $200.

April 4, 2005 Flag

My daughter is getting married in June and I just returned over $100 worth of items that she got as double presents. Considering that, I recommend giving gift cards or money to the bride and groom. It saves time for them and also they can get whatever they need.

By Robin

If you don't want to give a gift card or if the couple is registered for gifts at a certain store, always make sure you get a gift receipt to put in w/ your gift. Sometimes they will still get duplicates b/c not everyone will purchase using the registry or that store. Gift receipts don't list the price pd. but if they've listed an item on their registry they know the cost anyway. Also, good for them to have in case there's a problem w/ the item. At least they can exchange it or get a gift card. Stores usually will not allow that anymore w/out a receipt or have a strict limits on the practice.

I'm not in favor of purchasing anything from Target Stores, especially anything which is listed on a bride-to-be's registry. A very good friend of ours was getting married, registered her preferences with Target, and she got many duplicates anyway. When she went to return or exchange them, Target would only give her credit for the amount of the item at that day's prices although the item had been purchased a couple months before at the regular price. Target treated her very badly, and we don't deal with Target at all anymore for that reason.

Since a forum like this seems to be the only place we can alert people to certain store practices, this is the place and the time to do it. We need to let other people know about our experiences so they are not caught in the same perdictament. Perhaps Target will get the message.

All the best to everyone, Julia in Orlando, FL

A friend of mine recently remarried. She and He already had the basics and more. So she said if any money was received it would be used for their honeymoon, which will be later in the year.

A fun way to give money is to decorate a small picture frame and place the check or cash under the glass. Picture frames are always useable as well as money. A double gift.

I agree with Julia about Target. I purchased a Swiffer Wetjet and forgot to use the $5.00 coupon at purchase. I called the store when I got home, and whoever answered the call told me to bring it in the next time I came in. When I took it in, the store refused to honor the coupon (I had the receipt showing the purchase of the item). I was not treated well, and decided that I did not have to spent my money at Target. Walmart is right down the road!!

Weddings GiftsMarch 15, 2013
Plant wedding favors.
Giving Plants as Wedding Favors
A married couple in a moutain setting.
Ideas for a "Green" Wedding
Two tiered wedding cake with flowers on top.
Saving Money on a Wedding Cake
Colorful Bridal Bouquets
Choosing Wedding Colors