Buying Cabinets Vs. Building Your Own

Were going to be putting in new kitchen cabinets, and doing a new tile floor. I have priced ready built cabinets, but am also considering building them. Can someone tell me the cost difference in the two? I would like to go with oak cabinets.

Amy from Evansdale, IA

Amy,

My husband and I are in mid-renovation on our kitchen and chose to build our own cabinets. They are not difficult to build - but it does take time and space to do it.

I cannot give you dollar quotes, as we chose to use maple melamine with painted poplar fronts, so materials for us would be much much less than using oak. We also already had all the tools - so there was not an expense there.

however - we got EXACTLY the cabinets we wanted - and at a substantial savings.

If you already have the necessary tools, the talent, and the motivation to do it- go for it. It may take a bit longer - but for us has been well worth it.

Hubby and I did not build ours, but we had them built (all hickory wood) when we built our house. They are much better, more substantial, etc. than those premade ones in the stores. Build your own if you have the talent . . . you will have much better quality of work.

Hi we just renovated our kitchen, all new cabinets with an island. We bought the cabinets at Surplus Warehouse, all oak and I varnished and stained them myself, hubby installed them and we had someone do the countertops. We figured cost of materials and time would be more expensive than the bought cabinets. These cabinets are solid oak not particle wood, the shelves are all wood also. I LOVE my new kitchen. Good luck and God Bless If there is a Surplus Warehouse (building supplies) in your area check them or check a contractors oversupply house, GREAT PRICES.

Home and Garden Home Improvement KitchenJanuary 9, 2008
Wood Kitchen Cabinets
Cleaning Wood Cabinets
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Wood cabinet doors ready to be painted.
Painting Wood Cabinets
Cleaning yellow stains on cabinets.
Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets
🎉
🎄