Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Glue on New Windows

I just got new windows installed in my house. They have left plastic stickers and small plastic bags glued to the windows. I have tried the antibacterial lotion but it didn't work. This is really strong adhesive. Please help. My beautiful windows look horrible with these plastic bags glued to them.

Molly

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Ben (Guest Post)08/20/2008

Hey, I know this is a bit later than most people have posted, but I have a great way to remove all sorts of adhesives from glass. A while ago i bought a car that had cheaply tinted windows. After removing the tints, the windows were covered with baked on, nasty adhesive. I couldn't scrape it off. I talked to a guy at a tinting shop, and he said that they use cold cream. I had no clue what it was being a 16 yr old guy. Apparently the womenfolk use it to take their makeup off or something. Anyways, I bought some at my local store (its in the make up aisle) and applied it to my windows. I waited about half an hour, and voila, the adhesive came right off. Cold cream turns the adhesive into a sort of snotty texture. all you need is something to take it off with... Good stuff.

By Paul (Guest Post)05/23/2008

HOT WATER and soap works! Thanks for the hint.

By Betsy (Guest Post)05/20/2008

WD40 WORKED GREAT. Just make sure you wash it off. It can be toxic to kids.

By Linda O'Grady [1]04/16/2008

I tried a few of the above last night to no avail, then i rang the window manufacturers (in this case Velux) and they said hot soapy water! I nearly laughed at them, but guess what? It worked! It was like the heat or soap changed the consistency of the glue from hard and unmovable to stretchy and with very little effort was removed.
Loobs

By Teri from CA (Guest Post)03/11/2008

We just installed new windows with the UV ray protection and read not to use razor blades on them. I've cleaned and cleaned and couldn't get the glue off. I read one of the feedback saying to use WD-40, but didn't have any so I used my GIBBS Brand Lubricant that works on everything and had heard you could clean your glass with it... Well, I used the GIBBS on the sticky stuff and it worked like a CHARM!! Besides that, it cleaned my glass with no hazy film which you'd expect from a LUBRICANT! Thanks once again GIBBS!

By Teri from CA (Guest Post)03/10/2008

We just installed new windows with the UV ray protection and read not to use razor blades on them. I've cleaned and cleaned and couldn't get the glue off. I read one of the feedback saying to use WD-40, but didn't have any so I used my GIBBS Brand Lubricant that works on everything and had heard you could clean your glass with it... Well, I used the GIBBS on the sticky stuff and it worked like a CHARM! Besides that, it cleaned my glass with no hazy film which you'd expect from a LUBRICANT! Thanks once again GIBBS!

By Anne (Guest Post)02/10/2008

What a nightmare my beautiful windows look awful - tried nail varnish remover - takes ages though - think I will try WD40 - I really tedious lengthy job!

By Window (Guest Post)07/13/2007

My new windows had glue and stickers on them. I succesfully used cooking oil followed immediately by windex.

By Heather (Guest Post)09/11/2006

Just a note for the future...rubbing alcohol is great for disolving adhesive. GooGone is another good but more expensive option. A cautionary note, rubbing alcohol is also great for removing ink so use with caution on printed surfaces like wallpaper.

By Molly (Guest Post)02/07/2005

WD 40 worked..thank you thank you thank you....;)

By Kelly (Guest Post)02/05/2005

We had the same thing with our new windows. We pealed off as much of the sticker as we could and then drenched what was left with WD-40, let it sit for a while and then use the side of a credit card to scrape the residue off. Repeat if necessary. Then wipe off as much of the WD-40 as you can with a paper towel and wash the window as usual. Works great.

By Ashley (Guest Post)02/04/2005

Personally, I'd call the company directly and ask what they reccomend - or, if they can't reccomend something, I'd ask them to come back and remove the stickers for me. Heck, if you've paid for it already, it seems they still have part of the job to finish! ;)

By Leanne Palmer02/04/2005

I have used a product called "Oops" for a number of sticky situations. Works great for me.

By Darween [1]02/04/2005

Goo-Gone is good but plain old lighter fluid [like used to refill cigarette lighters] works much better, or try white vinegar.

By Memere (Guest Post)02/04/2005

As you probably paid a dear price for your new windows, call the company that installed them and explain your problem. They should be able to either give you a solution for the problem or if all else fails, come out and resolve the situation.

By Trudy Powell02/04/2005

You might try Watkins' Stain Pro Grease, Tar & Gum Remover. It's super-concentrated, non-corrosive, and biodegradable. It contains a natural solvent which dissolves tar, grease, motor oil, gum, adhesives, tape, sticker residue, and other stains. It may be used on a wide variety of surfaces, such as fabrics, vinyl upholstery, and hard surfaces like formica, linoleum, ceramics, and porcelain.

I am an Independent Watkins Associate, and if you would like a catalog of our various products, just e-mail and let me know and I'll get one to you.

Trudy
trudypowell@sbcglobal.net

By Pat M (Guest Post)02/04/2005

I have found that WD-40 sprayed on the stickey residue works great....spray, let it penetrate, then rub off with a clean, dry cloth

By beanygurl [1]02/03/2005

Try goo gone, goof off or nail polish remover. You can try tape (big packing tape) to remove the bulk of the adhesive (sticky stuff sticks to other sticky stuff), then use the chemicals to get the rest of it off. Some folks will suggest peanut butter, oil will work too. Most adhesives soften in oil.

By a. from mo. (Guest Post)02/03/2005

We just had new windows installed as well, we were told by the man who installed them to use Windex. (I know, it sounds obvious) but it really did work for me! We had stickers and sticky residue. I squirted it on, moved on to the next window, letting the first one soak for a minute, then I went back with a razor blade and scraped it right off!