Preparing Interior Glossy Finish Walls for Painting

Can someone tell me how to prep glossy painted walls for painting? I was told to use sand paper, 150 grade, which I tried with my husband's sander and it did nothing. Do I need to get rid of all the shine or just sand it down a bit? I also read that there is a chemical that will strip the gloss off. Has anyone tried this?

By Darlene from Castaic, CA

You don't need to sand really, all you need to get is a good primer which will adhere to the wall, bond with it, then you can easily paint over the primer! Home depot or Lowe's either one or any good paint store will be happy to help you!

I you will have to sand to scuff up the glossy surface for the primer to adhere. Primer helps the top coat adhere to the surface but does nothing for the primer to adhere to the glossy surface. You could call a paint store such as Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams and ask those experienced guys. You could also call a paint contractor and ask them. You could also try both ideas on a piece of the glossy wall and see what the results would be. It may take a while for the part that used just the primer to fail.

All walls have to be de-glossed, once you have de-glossed the walls a good interior primer-sealer will work and then apply your acrylic top coats. If you have de-glossed the walls properly, a lot of times you can apply the acrylic top coats immediately. The problems usually occur when painting over alkyd paints which is rare these days inside homes and offices, so if it's acrylic on there then a quick sand and apply away. :)

Thank you all for the advice I started first as I said above to sand and it did nothing I then bought TSP I think it is called not the cleaner but the deglosser, it was like using water. I bought the concentrate, sprayed it on full strength and it did nothing. Finally in tears I went to a paint store and found Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Water-Base Primer-Sealer. I bought it against the clerks advice (since I didn't know if the paint on the wall was oil based he said it may not work). Came home and tried it on one wall let it dry over night and it seemed to work. Hubby said it looked good, go ahead and paint. I found the same stuff, Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Water-Base Primer-Sealer, at Home Depot a dollar or two cheaper the next day why they didn't tell me to try this after several trips into the store I have no clue. Besides hoping that this works I hope I never come across glossy paint again!

Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingSeptember 10, 2010
Patent Leather Shoes
Cleaning Patent Leather Shoes
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Paint Cans with Color Spectrum and Brushes
Saving Money on Paint (Interior)
Man Cleaning Car Interior
Cleaning Your Car's Interior
🎄