Growing Musk Mallow

Botanical Name: Abelmoschus moschatus
Life Cycle: annuals, perennials
Planting Time: spring
Height: 1 1/2' to 6'
Exposure: full sun
Soil: moist, nutrient rich, well-drained soil with a neutral pH
Hardiness: zones 9 to 11, best in hot, humid climates. Not drought tolerant.
Bloom Time: summer through frost
Flower: pink, red and yellow; aromatic
Foliage: green, upright
Propagation: seeds and stem cuttings
Suggested Use: beds, borders, containers, and mass plantings
Growing Hints: Sow seeds or transplant seedlings into warm soil. Seedlings should be spaced approximately 18 inches apart. Seeds should be soaked for 24 hours prior to planting to speed germination. If starting indoors, use individual peat pots to avoid disturbing roots while transplanting.
Interesting Facts: Musk Mallow is native to Southeast Asia and is a relative to the hibiscus, cotton and okra. Flowers last only a single day, but plant flowers continuously all summer.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at

Lovely flower, but I had a problem with it reseeding itself EVERYWHERE; I had to actually "weed" flowers out of my garden all the time. I also had to stake my musk mallow up because the wind would always topple it over. I am going to plant it at my new house but give it a very large space to spread out in.

Growing Musk Mallow
Growing Musk Mallow
Home and Garden Gardening Growing AnnualsFebruary 7, 2006
Growing English Mallow
Growing English Mallow
Half of a honeydew melon and slices.
Growing Honeydew Melons
Growing your own wedding flowers.
Growing Your Own Wedding Flowers
Veggie seeds.
Growing Vegetables from Seeds