Stone Garden Markers

Christine Weber

Natural looking yet practical plant identifiers, easy to make and waterproof to boot!

Materials and Equipment:

• a large, relatively flat smooth stone, at least 3 or more inches in diameter
  • Ad
  • a Sharpie waterproof marker

1. Before you start, clean and dry your stone completely.
  2. In attractive script (you may want to practice first on a piece of paper) write the common name or the scientific name of the plant you want the marker to identify.
  3. Allow the ink to dry completely before placing it in the garden. The marker is waterproof, but if it is placed in a sunny location, you may want to redo your marker after a year of two. Fortunately they are quick and cheap to make!

What a wonderful idea. When I get new plants, I usually can't remember their names - now I will see them daily and won't forget them.

Thanks so much.

Great tip!!! Thanks!! My garden is going to look so cool!!

I love this idea but where do I find the flat stones? I can always find the polished river rocks, but I can't find flat stones. Any help would appreciated. Thanks.

Great idea. I purchased some pretty flowers a few seasons ago at Walmart and they did so well with hardly any care. I have no idea what they were and haven't seen them ever again. I wish I had labeled them like this. There's many beaches here on the New England coast where you can find so many gorgeous colored flat rocks. Last summer when we visited relatives in Marshfield, MA, I filled up bucket after bucket of unusual rocks for garden accents. Now I just have to practice my calligraphy and I can label the garden. Thanks again!

I am so sorry about changing the subject abit.

I lost a son to an overdose of drugs in 2003. Soon after that happen I started to think about ways to maybe prevent other young people from doing the same.

I came up with an idea of leaving Drugs Kill messages on a foot or so wide rocks which are on short hills(banks) alongside many of the country roads in my rural county.

My major problem has been to have them painted so they don't look like Graffetti.

I have been thinking of getting art classes in the schools involve. (A field trip project)

I want to thank for your Stone Garden Markers idea.

Now I believe this project just might start moving again.

God Bless You All

This is a great idea, I'm always forgetting some of the names.

Popsicle Stick Plant Marker
Homemade Plant Markers
Crafts Garden & Yard Plant MarkersMay 18, 2006
Installer Pavers
Making a Paving Stone Patio
Stone Wall
Hammering or Nailing Into Stone
Baking a pizza on a baking stone.
Using a Baking Stone
Moss on Headstone
Cleaning Moss and Stains off Headstones