Browsing: Fixing Fluorescent Lights

Fluorescent Lights Not Working

My bathroom light stopped working, so I changed the fluorescent out with a new one, but still it doesn't work. It only glows on one end after I touched it with my bare hands. What do you think is the problem?

By edylc from Hong Kong

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

Have you tried changing the starter unit? That's the small cylindrical thing about one-and-a-half centimetres diameter across. If that is not giving a high enough charge to gas in the tube, it will not light properly.

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the starter could be the problem. If replacing that doesn't fix it, then you need to replace the unit entirely.

If you don't know what the starter is or located go to your local hardware store and ask someone in the electric dept. They will show you what it is and where it is located.

September 22, 2010 Flag

I thought my bathroom fluorescent light bulbs had simply burned out one day. We purchased new bulbs, but it was the same. I thought it was a bad set of bulbs, so we bought two more, but the same thing happened.

You can see that the electricity is getting in there, the bulbs just don't want to light up. Is there something wrong with my fixture (even though the juice is obviously getting in there) or is there something I can do to clean the connectors?

By Allison from Honolulu, HI

Answers:

Fluorescent Lights Not Working

There are basically 5 things that can go wrong: power, lamps, sockets, ballast, and starter. I don't know how you tell that power is getting there, but that obviously that isn't it. You replaced the lamps twice so that isn't it. Assuming the lamps are seating well in the sockets when you put them in that shouldn't be it.

So that leaves the starter, not all fixtures have them, but if yours does it looks like a miniature tin can and twists into a socket. They are usually available at hardware stores for under $5, but make sure you get the correct replacement, there are several different types for different types of lamps.

The last thing would be the ballast. It is fairly easy to replace if you have some electrical skills and can be bought at some hardware stores and most lighting stores. For a small type fixture it should cost under $15. (04/10/2010)

By zoodad

April 9, 2010 Flag

My fluorescent light is not working. I replaced the 2 lights, but it is still not working. Only the ends of the bulbs flicker with light. I have verified that there is good power. What do you recommend?

By Jam from Phoenix, AZ

Answers:

Fluorescent Lights Not Working

You need a new ballast. (12/17/2009)

By A. Hastings7878

Fluorescent Lights Not Working

I don't know what you call it in your country. Here in Malta we call it a starter. Its a little plastic tube thingy about 2 inches long. Very cheap to buy from a hardware store and even easier to replace. Just look for it in your light fitting and you will see it. It pulls out and you put another in. (12/18/2009)

By cett

Fluorescent Lights Not Working

It could possibly the starter, about the size of a 35mm container. Or it could be the ballast. From your explanation I would look at the ballast being the issue. If it is the ballast you might just think about replacing the fixture, it could be cheaper than the cost to replace the ballast unit. The last ballast I had changed cost over $80 dollars at the local Home Depot hardware store. (12/18/2009)

By dwmoar

Fluorescent Lights Not Working

Try replacing the starter first. In my case that was always the reason and much less expensive to try that first. Any hardware store can help you and usually have any size in stock. (12/20/2009)

By Deeli

December 13, 2009 Flag

My fluorescent light fixture is not working. My 2 bulb fluorescent light (one of three fixtures) in the kitchen was working. Then it would light and shut off, then light up again, then shut off.

July 3, 2005 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Fixing Fluorescent Lights
Fixing Fluorescent Lights
Home and Garden Repair Home ElectricalSeptember 22, 2010
Family Working on Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Compact Fluorescent Bulb
Buying and Using Compact Fluorescent Bulbs
Compact Fluorescent Lightbulb
Disposing of Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs
Oregon Zoolights
Saving Money on Christmas Lights
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 7:35:38 AM on 10.0.1.53 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.