Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Handmade Christmas Gift for Boyfriend

I want to make my boyfriend a creative Christmas gift and I don't know what I should make. We're both 15 and he's in all sports. We're not at the jewelry giving stage yet, so. Whatever I make him can't be fragile because I have to mail it to him. Help?

By Tyler from NE

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Patricia Eldridge10/24/2010

You could make him a no-sew reversible fleece blanket using his favorite team colors. Here is a link to instructions on how to make one, but there are many more instructions on the internet. http://www.instructables.com/id/No-Sew-Fleece-Blanket/

By Brenda J. Moore [1]10/23/2010

Hi cutie! Go to the thrift store and buy old wool sweaters in the colours of his favorite "sports" team. I.e. football, hockey whatever. Wash in hot water, and dry in a hot dryer. Then, you can cut the sweater to the lengths needed to create a "one-of-a-kind" scarf. Made by you with love. Hows' that?

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Handmade Christmas Gift for Boyfriend

I need a gift for my boyfriend that is sixteen. At Christmas we will have been together for a week. What kind of gift could I make him since I can't really afford anything for him?

Tabitha from Gilmer, TX

RE: Handmade Christmas Gift for Boyfriend

There are many things you can do that cost little/no money. Take a look at a few that I came up with real quick.
  • Write a poem for him.
  • Bake cookies/brownies/cupcakes or whatever (teenage boys love food).
  • Make a "friendship" bracelet from string in a special color for the two of you (his favorite color and your favorite color)
  • Make a certificate that your gift is a movie, popcorn and pop (this doesn't mean at a theater, this can be at your house). The gift of time is also a gift.
  • Make a certificate that you will make him dinner one night.
  • A notepad with his name on it.
  • If you have pictures, make a mini scrapbook of the two of you.
Good luck and Merry Christmas to you. (12/22/2008)

By CRMom

When my daughter was in high school she made a box to keep love letters and keepsakes in from a detergent box. It was decorated with stuff that pertained to them and their high school. Even though lots of guys wouldn't say they care about those things, it came from the heart and this guy was proud of what his girlfriend had made him. (Actually, they're now married and he still has that box.) (12/29/2008)

I want to do something really sweet for my boyfriend, for Christmas. I would like to make it myself. He loves football and he plays most sports. I bought him a couple of shirts and I'm going to make the card myself. But I want to do something else homemade, too. Any ideas?

By Milly from Springville, UT

Well that depends on what you can do dear. Any craft skills? Knit a sweater? Do you paint? Draw? Sing? Play an instrument? Cook? Clean? Give us a list of what you're good at and I'm sure we'll think of something. (12/05/2009)

By Suntydt

How about one of the no-sew fleece throws? You can get the fleece in team colors or even with the team name/logo. There are lots of directions available (free) online, so your only cost would be the fleece, and most fabric stores are having great sales right now.

Here is one that only uses one layer of fleece, you could adjust the size for a bigger guy. Project Linus is mostly aimed at blankets for kids.

projectlinus.org

Here is one for the double-layer: fleeceblanket.org

Good luck! (12/06/2009)

By Jilson

What about a scrap book including photos from when he was young with his sports as a theme? You could play secret squirrel and get copies of old photos from his parents/guardians, and make them into a unique gift that he would cherish (12/09/2009)

By merry50

You could make a football shaped pillow from brown fleece. If you made it bigger than a regulation football and fringed the outside edges, then all you would need to do was tie the fringes together to make the pillow. Cut small slits in one piece (you would only need two pieces) and lace with a cool shoe lace, then tie together using 1 fringe from one edge and one from the other. Knot each twice for security. That's no sew, but if you sew, after doing the lace detail, put wrong sides of the two pieces together, sew them together leaving an opening for stuffing. When stuffed firmly, sew the opening shut. (12/10/2009)

By thriftmeg