Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

What Kind Of Rice For Heated Rice Bags?

I wanted to make a heated Rice bag. Does it matter what kind of Rice I use? And can I add dried herbs in with the rice? I heard about using kitty litter instead of rice, just the regular clay litter? Thanks!

Tammy

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Fran05/26/2010

I use corn for my heating and cooling bags. I get it at Agway here in central NY. I have made them in fleece, cotton, flannel, and lots of other materials. I also sew little baffles to keep corn from going to one side and staying there, shake it to reposition it. I tried birdseed and it almost caught fire after a few seconds. I heard about flax seed, but they say that's expensive. Love the ideas about different things to put them in, like a washcloth, very clever. I also make them to curve around the neck. Great ideas at this site.

By JO ROSE (Guest Post)02/24/2008

Is this rice edible? Where can I purchase about 200LBS?

By Cyinda [214]01/15/2008

I find the cheaper the better!... Why pay for top quality number one rice when you can buy the "seconds", that's rice with broken off ends... That's the "generic" rice that comes in larger bags, sold in grocery stores, usually on the bottom shelf. It tastes just the same as high grade, name brand rice, but if you look closely, you'll see the bits of the grain are broken off & each rice kernel isn't whole.

* I've found that the cheapest place to buy any type of rice is in a "Ethnic" Store... If you have a local Chinese/Japanese store or an East Indian store, they usually sell rice in very large bags. In fact, in Seattle, we have a Japanese/Chinese grocery store where the rice is one-third to one half the price you'd pay in the grocery store down the block from it!

* Many other whole grains work equally well... You can use wheat & many other grains other than rice! In fact, when my partner is suffering & needs a bit of warm, moist heat, I simply fill a clean pillow case with whatever whole grain we have around the house. Then tie a piece of yarn around the end to seal it up. I then warm it in the microwave it for him to use, then later when he's finished with it, I'll put the grain back in the jar or box it came out of & use it to cook with... It taste's as good as new!

By Faye Holt (Guest Post)01/15/2008

I had a nurse tell me last night about using an atheletic sock to put the rice in and then tie knot in the end of it. She said I would have to find out by maybe 35 secs. heating and add more if needed. Can you add anything to this suggestion. Thanks.

By Diane (Guest Post)11/23/2007

Long grain white is better than brown rice, which has lots of powdery residue. I put a thin knee high sock as my first bag then put that into a second sleeve. This really helps keep small pieces from coming out as the bag ages. Also if your bag is long you may want to stitch dividers to keep the rice from all pooling to one area. I'm an RN and made my first rice bag about 15 years ago after attending an Infant Massage Class, during which the rice bag was talked about. We were also told to heat the rice 30 to 45 min in the oven at 250 degrees or so to keep it from absorbing moisture. Do add scent because the rice does not smell great without it. The bags are great for pain relief.

By Sara (Guest Post)01/07/2005

To combat the price factor, try buying your rice in bulk. Regular long or short grain rice sells in bulk here for about 26 cents per pound.

2 Kitchen towels sewn together is my rice bag and I often scent it with essential oils. Lavendar is the most soothing and is also okay to use in contact with skin. Some are not, so be careful. I also have one I used while in labor with my last child that was scented with dried herbs.

Rice bags are the ONLY thing that combat my chronic migraines. They can be heated or frozen.

By Lynn (Guest Post)01/07/2005

I use bird seed for filler instead of rice. Costs less and is much smoother. It also stays warm much longer.

By aline01/06/2005

try flax seeds- the oil content makes it stay warm longer :)

By Barbie (Guest Post)01/05/2005

you should use long cooking rice.....not instant or five minute as the long cooking doesn't crumble as easily.....you might beable to use kitty litter but I think it may retain too much moisture????? and how would it smell when warmed???? don't know tho.....you can add all kinds of dried herbs if you want but remember 2 things....one they will lose the aroma in time and two they too may crumble and work through the fibers........but rice bags are wonderful..........we got one as a gift and I made 2 more for our home and one for each of my siblings, and my aunt and uncle.......they feel just great just remember 2 minutes heated in the microwave is usually enough to last and hour or so, any longer and you may burn your skin......the one I received was made with a hand towel, I made mine with one wash cloth and it seems to be a handy size.....

By Ginger. (Guest Post)01/04/2005

I use the cheapest River Rice - Aldi's has a big bag very cheap.

I've made them from plushy hand towels....from tapestry place matts (fold in half for a big square one).....from washcloths - to use at work when my fingers ache.
You can even use a big old athletic sock and tie a knot in it once you fill it with rice...its great to drape around you neck or to wrap around an elbow or knee...

By Jen (Guest Post)01/04/2005

Not sure what kind of heated rice bag you mean, but I made neck wraps that I filled with regular long grain rice..