Freezing Lemon and Lime Juice

My husband and I are big on being frugal. It began out of necessity, but now it is like second nature to us. To save a few cents (and every cent helps) in the kitchen, we buy lemons and limes when they are marked down. We've learned that, in some recipes, a lime works as well or better than a lemon!

So we take the fruit home and juice them for future recipes. We put the juice in an ice cube tray or muffin pan. Ice cube trays are good for making a tablespoon or two. Muffin pans will make a bigger amount. Fill the tray, and pop it in the freezer. When they are frozen, take them out of the trays, stack them in a zip lock with a bit of wax paper between each, and put them back in the freezer.

The next time a recipe calls for a tablespoon of lemon juice, we just reach for the freezer! And as a bonus, we can put some of the rind in the garbage disposal to freshen it!

By su554

This sounds like a good idea. Could be used with oranges too. Also why not zest the fruit and freeze that too. A lot of recipes call for zest as well as the juice.

I grate the rind before juicing. I freeze the rind in a small plastic pot, and when I need lemon rind in recipes for cakes or other recipes, I always have some ready.

I freeze the squeezed shells, they grate more easily when frozen.

Marg from England.

I use very little lemon juice and either I didn't have any lemons when I needed one, or I was throwing some away as they would wither or spoil. I now use the bottled lemon juice. Granted, it's not as fresh tasting but it is more practical for someone who rarely uses it. Works for me.