Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

When Are Bell Peppers Ready to Pick?

This is my first time for growing bell peppers (a/k/a green peppers). I have several that will be ready to be picked soon. How do I know when they are ready to be picked?

Hardiness Zone: 8b

Linda from Alabama

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By susan [5]07/28/2008

You can usually pick them when they are a nice size. Pick one to see if the flesh is thick enough, if not, allow it to grow longer. Even if the flesh is thin, you can still use the pepper, it's just not fully mature. If you leave green peppers on the plant, they will turn red and be really sweet. But sometimes bugs get them first.

By Grandma J (Guest Post)07/28/2008

When they are the size you want. If you want red, you have to wait weeks longer! Call your local extension office for help. They may have a toll free listening information center. Works great! Our growing season is not long enough to mess with peppers any more. IT takes till Sept to see the red ones! MINNESOTA GRANDMA ZONE 4