Removing Incontinence Odor

I am the caregiver for my elderly mother. She is incontinent and has cervical cancer. What suggestions can you make to help get rid of the odor both in her clothing/bedding and our home? I have used Odo-Ban and Clorox (clean linen scent) to no avail for her fabrics. As for our home, candles are a temporary fix, I have used Febreze and Lysol and it has not worked so far.

By Shellie from Baltimore, MD

Try vinegar, for laundry and spraying beds, furniture, etc. The smell dissipates quickly.

Pat

I tried the vinegar for her pj's. It worked well! Thanks

I have an incontinent male cat and have become expert with urine odors. I use Borateem in each wash load, about 1/3 to 1/2 cup (I have a front loader). Any borax product will do. Just add it with your regular wash product. You can use it for washing floors or whatever. Just add to your wash water. Good luck.

My friend works as a home health care provider and the company she works with supplies them with cans of inexpensive lather shave cream. It cuts out the odor. She uses it to clean the people, and bedding before she launders bedding. Try it.

Don't know if this will help, but for the urine night drainage bags, mouthwash does the best job. The cheaper ones work as well as the expensive. Just dilute with quite a bit of water.

I agree with desertgal - vinegar. Add one cup of vinegar to wash load and let it soak for an hour or overnight.

I don't have any advice. I just want you to know I said a prayer for you. You must be going through such a difficult, stressful time. I am so sorry. You are being a great daughter. I prayed God would give you strength and comfort each day, in a fresh way, to continue.

Nature's Miracle which is used to remove pet urine odors should work. It's expensive but it works. Available in pet supply stores in various sized bottles and can be used on all sorts of materials. It's enzyme based so it doesn't rely on covering up the odor but actually removes it.

Boiling a small amount of vinegar will be a quick fix for the odor after a change. Also, keep a small spray bottle of Listerine to spray plastic cover of bed and air mattress, etc. Can spray directly on patient and helps keep down bed sores and odor. Have had my bed-fast Mom for 5 yrs as her main caregiver. Cherish your time together.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsSeptember 17, 2010
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Mothballs
Removing Mothball Odor from Washing Machine
Stressed Dog
Dog Has Stress Incontinence
🎄
🍂