Decorate Printed Canvas Bags For Groceries

My local grocery store is offering reusable canvas grocery bags for sale. I liked the idea but not the $5.99 price tag. I went down to my local charity thrift store and found lots of canvas totes with various designs or advertisements on them. I purchased nine of them for less than $3.00, brought them home and washed them well. When dry, I took an old can of latex wall paint and painted out the designs and lettering. Later I added some of my own artwork. Now I am green three ways: 1) no more disposable grocery bags filling the landfill. 2) I used up old paint that would have had to be disposed of anyway. 3) I recycled the old canvas bags and helped a charity while doing it!

By Sara from TN

What designs did you use? Any photos? How were the handles which usually go out first? I'm thinking like the Sam's store here, and using cardboard boxes rather than "recycling" them back to the store?

It would be a much better use of them to allow customers to use them rather than to send them back to be refilled, or sent to the landfill or recyclers,

don't you agree? I buy a few more than several canvass bags would hold, the reason boxes sound better for my needs. God bless you. : )

How about taking those plastic bags and recycling them into your own grocery bag. There are many patterns and ideas out there to crochet, knit and weave plastic bags into cool grocery totes. I have some details at my website to help if you are interested in the process. Check out for free details.

A website dedicated to recycling & crafting

Reusable Shopping Bag
Homemade Reusable Shopping Bags
Crafts Recycled CraftsFebruary 14, 2007
tagless t-shirt
Removing Printed Clothing Labels
Applying Ink
Custom Homemade Screen Printed T-Shirts
Green Reusable Shopping Bag
Using Reusable Shopping Bags
Recycle Tote Bag
Decorating Tote Bags