Ideas For Making Inukshuks

I would like to make small inukshuks, which are stone sculptures the Inuit in Canada create to mark trails, for my husband's Canadian family. They have round or flat pieces to make the legs, body and head and some longer flat pieces to mark the start of the body and the arms. I'd like to use frosted glass, sea glass, etc., but I'm having trouble coming up with the materials. Any ideas?

Toni from Burlingame, CA

Am thinking rocks from creek beds - but then you'd be near poisonous water snakes.

How about paintings of Inukshuks on bark?

I've seen them made from ice and they are beautiful so glass should work well.

I made one based on a clay pot suggestion.

You could make one out of driftwood (legs) and them make the upper parts out of glass/shells...

What about getting REAL creative and making them out of hypertufa. There are instructions all over the net for making it.

That is very thoughtful of you to want to do this for your Canuk in-laws.

Inukshiks have "migrated" to the south of Canada and are quite common all the hi-ways & bi-ways, but always a nice treat to see.

Not to be given away, only to mark the way...

Since you're in CA, why not make one from something unique to where you are now living.

Just a Canuk who been North & please to see the Inuit culture coming to all of us.

Take a short ride up to Building Resources in San Francisco, plenty of materials including beach glass, stone scraps, tile samples, etc. It's just off 3rd St near Cesar Chavez St.

Directions on their website:

Another great place, near there, open Tues-Sat is SCRAP (Scroungers Center for Recyclable Art Parts)

All kinds of craft and art supplies (cash only and just take $40 the first time or you'll go nuts!)

Stan in San Francisco

We make & sell Inukshuks of all sizes. The most popular are

the one's made with stone and I cannot help you with the materials you are look for but I just wanted to let you know that we have written 3 children's books about Inukshuks along with an activity book. These will be marketed on the Internet withing the next few weeks. If you would like some more info on these please Email me at njames3 AT Please let me know how you make out with what you are looking for. Thanks Nancy James

Crafts GiftsAugust 11, 2007
A safety pin with beads in a flag pattern.
Patriotic Craft Ideas For Kids (USA)
Easter Chicken Craft
Easter Craft Ideas
Two Little Girls in Nerds Box Costume Next to Wonka
Willy Wonka Costume Ideas
Canape with Egg and Vegetables
Easter Brunch Ideas