SaucesItalian

Italian Tomato Sauce

There is just nothing like having a well-stocked freezer or pantry, and this sauce is one that's easy to prepare and will save your day when you simply run out of time. Just cook spaghetti while you thaw and heat the sauce in the microwave, and toast your bread in the oven. Dinner can be on the table in about 1/2 an hour, and it'll taste like you've been cooking all day.

Add meat if you like, but if you have a good green salad and some crusty garlic toast, they won't miss the meat.

• 2 (15 oz.) cans stewed tomatoes pureed
  • 4 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 (6 oz.) cans tomato paste
  • 2 Tbsp. dried minced onion
  • 1 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
  • 1 Tbsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. corn starch
  • 4 tsp. dried green pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp. instant minced garlic
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • Ad
  • 1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning

Directions:

Mix corn starch with water until there are no lumps. Combine all ingredients in a large pot or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, stir, cover, reduce heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so.

Remove from burner and allow to cool.

Ladle into 6-7 (2-cup) plastic containers, leaving 1/2 inch space at the top of each. Seal with tight-fitting lids and label. Freeze. Makes about 6 pints of Italian Cooking Sauce Mix.

Use as needed just as you would Classico (or other) Spaghetti Sauce. Taste and adjust seasonings when you are using sauce.

Note: It's OK to use different can sizes as long as you keep close to the amounts in oz.

Servings: 2-12
Time:35-40 Minutes Preparation Time
45 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: We made this in my high-school Home Economics class back in the early 50's. It's saved my reputation as a good cook more than once.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

Hi Julia,

I love this fast and easy recipe also using can stewed tomatoes. I like mine chunky so I'd use my fresh green peppers and onions I have stored in my freezer. Sure wish I had more freezer space with my frig. and I've no room for a separate freezer. Oh well,make do with what we have!.

Thanks again for sharing and caring.

Warm hugs,

Sandie/keeper

Yum! I absolutely adore tomato sauces, and this sounds like an easy recipe to follow. Sounds as if I need to put storage bowls in the right size on my shopping list. Thanks! Hugs!

I also like to make my own tomato sauce so i know more of "what" is in my food. Most sauces are easy to make and taste better than the jarred stuff.