Unclogging a Sink With a Garbage Disposal

When using my kitchen sink it fills up with water and I have to run my garbage disposal to get the water to drain. Even then it doesn't drain all the way out. Can anyone tell me what's going on and how do I fix this problem?

By mytroubleswontgodownthedrain from Washington, DC

Amy3e, you rock! I was about to give up and then I found your advice and it did the trick!

It works! It works! I put cantaloupe peelings in my garbage disposal and clogged it up, but good! I plunged and stomped my foot and cried, but nothing helped. Finally I went online and asked the question to Google and got thriftyfun. I applied 1 cup baking soda followed by 1 cup apple cider vinegar, then let set 10 minutes, then poured two qts. of boiling water down the disposal. I had to do it twice, but it worked! My disposal is running like a charm again! Thanks thriftyfun!

I had the exact same thing happen with squash and carrots peelings, a lot of them. My sink was clogged for 2 days, on the garbage disposal side. My husband couldn't fix it. I found this site and emptied a 2 liter bottle of Shasta soda on the side opposite of the garbage disposal. I plunged for a few minutes, then plunged on the other side for another few minutes, and it worked! Amazing!

I have a similar problem but I am not sure if the baking soda, vinegar solution would work. I have a single sink. It fills up with water and won't drain on its own. It only drains if I turn on the disposal. What can I do about that? Please help, I really can't afford a plumber right now. :(

(Submitted by email)

I just tried some advice I found on this site for unclogging a garbage disposal. The advice was to pour vinegar and boiling water along with baking soda. I just wanted whomever posted that advice to know it worked like a charm and that I no longer have an issue. Your information saved me from having to call a plumber. Thank you so much for posting this information.

Derrick D.

Stupidly garbage disposed the remnants of two whole (cooked) artichoke peels, resulting in a very, very clogged disposal. Tried the 2 cups vinegar (only had apple cider vinegar), 1/2 cup baking soda trick, and turned switch on, only to find it didn't work. Attempt #2: 2 cups vinegar, 1/2 cup baking soda, switch on, and while doing so poured in kettle full of boiling water. And guess what? It worked. Now I have a fixed garbage disposal. Awesome.

The Baking Soda + Vinegar + boiling water worked for me! Thank you! Having a party tomorrow. After cooking all out, all day the garbage disposal stopped draining about 10:00 pm. Thank goodness for Google and all you good people who share. Based on an earlier post, I let the baking soda and vinegar sit for about 15 min. Then I added the big pan of boiling water. For about 15 seconds nothing happened. Then all of a sudden it drained all at once with a big whoosh! Luckily I didn't have anything in the other sink basin.

kitchen sink
Unclogging a Garbage Disposal
Home and Garden Repair Home PlumbingJuly 25, 2010
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer), Man's hands holding a power screwdriver to a garbage disposal.
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer)
Celery and Banana Going into Garbage Disposal
Cleaning a Garbage Disposal
Clean garbage disposal drain.
Keeping Garbage Disposal Smelling Fresh
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage
🎉
🎄