Keeping Wildlife Out of the Attic

What natural or homemade product can I use to keep the raccoons and possums out of my attic? I'm disabled and live in a townhouse community, where 8 units are attached. Over the past years we have trapped several and took them to TX Wildlife. Please help.

By Terrie from Houston

You have to locate the area that they are entering the building. There may be more than one area. Then get some hardware cloth at your hardware store. Hardware cloth is wire mesh. hen securely attach the wire mesh over the openings. You may have to do this after dark as these animals are nocturnal. They are also very smart and strong. I have racoons in my area and they rip up my secure compost bin that is secured ot the ground with 10 inch screws.

In addition to the mesh wire I have always been told that mothballs can deter animals from invading a home.

I have heard that using ammonia on rags, in the area will work; or make a "hot pepper" mix; these will only last a couple of days however; I have also heard that you can get a "panther" or "bear" scent that might deter them away again though this is only going to last a short time and will need to be reapplied. Did the wildlife who came to pick them up offer solutions to keep them away from there? I know that I leave water available for any nocturnal animals outside away from my house and have never been bothered by any damage!

I use mothballs in the attic also with great luck.

Squirrels going through fascia board into attic.
Keeping Squirrels Out of Your Attic
Home and Garden Pest Control Small WildlifeOctober 5, 2010
Squirrel eating a flower.
Protecting Bulbs from Wildlife
A photo fo a carrot growing in a vegetable garden.
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garden
A chaffinch sitting on a rock by a garden pond.
Keeping Ponds Safe for Fish and Wildlife
Cats in the Attic
Cats in the Attic