Great Soil for Flower Beds

For an awesome, fail proof flower bed, select a location for your flower bed, being careful to remember what you want to grow, with or without sun. My favorite flower beds are under trees, surrounded with blocks. ALWAYS, throw all left over foods in your beds, including coffee grounds, egg shells, vegetables, cooked or raw, tea bags, anything except meat and dairy.

Make it a habit to throw used paper towels and or napkins in flower beds along with your Sunday newspaper, shredded by hand. Over time, this will compost and make great black soil! It is not necessary to wait to plant flowers, they will grow and hide all the paper and food under them.

Remember, never forget to throw these in your flower beds forever. Makes a great soil with simply your garbage. Why pay for potting soil when this is better!

By Sharon from Lakeland, FL

I'd recommend STRONGLY that you use some sort of container RATHER than No container because my friend, mom, and I tried this once and it attracted RODENTS and BIRDS tearing it up ALL THE TIME, digging for whatever they wanted, making a really big mess of it all! You may have luck doing it, but we certainly did NOT. It was tough cleaning it up, too. My best to you if it works for you. Compost is certainly the right idea , after it "makes", for our

flower beds and gardens. : )

I have a big compost bin. However, I like to dig holes in an empty spot in the garden and fill it up with stuff such as watermelon rinds and another kind of kitchen waste. I then put the dirt back over it. In a couple of weeks it is gone. Critters leave it alone and it really makes for a healthy garden soil.

My husband and I stumbled onto this method when we accidentally planted the compost heap. We'd been experimenting with heaps versus bins, and lol, over a particularly snowy winter forgot where the heap was.

That spring we leveled the bed wondering how it got so mounded up in that one spot. Those were the best tasting carrots ever, and the wild strawberries that volunteered along the back of the bed were very, very nice, too!

Looking at pictures of that bed it finally dawned on me that was where we'd had one of our test heaps. We are now 'composting-in-place' and gave away the bins.

We do turn the beds, and whenever we add something from the kitchen or garden trimmings we also throw a dirt cover on top. That seems to keep the foraging critters under control.