Can Frozen Cabbage Be Eaten Raw?

Can frozen cabbage be eaten raw, like for cole slaw?

By Gammy from Brighton, TN

Well, I'd say, yes, because I have a recipe for "freezer slaw" that doesn't cook the ingredients. You make up a big batch and store it in small containers in the freezer. It's almost like a relish or chow-chow. Having said that, I don't think frozen cabbage would do well in a mayo based slaw. Of course, you could try a cup full and experiment before freezing lots and lots of it.

If you freeze it in a vinegar base freezer slaw recipe it's fine when you take it out as a cole slaw if you want a creamy slaw drain the broth and add mayonnaise.

If you don't make freezer slaw it will be limp, and usable in soup or other cooked dishes, but not very tasty to eat raw.

Frozen Coleslaw

1 large head cabbage, shredded (I just use a bag of pre-shredded cabbage)

1 green pepper, chopped

1 large carrot, shredded

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup vinegar

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup water

1 teaspoon dry mustard

1 teaspoon celery seeds

(I like to add some chopped green onions to mine, and I also add 1/3 cup cooking oil to the ingredients that are boiled.)

Combine vegetables; sprinkle with salt, and let stand 1 hour. Drain mixture if water accumulates.

Combine remaining ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; boil 1 minute, Cool. Pour over cabbage mixture; stir well. Freeze in plastic freezer bags or containers. To serve, thaw in refrigerator. Yield: 8 to 10 servings.

Mrs. Varden Hiner, Abilene, Texas Southern Living Magazine, many years ago.

jsham, AR

Thank you so much for this recipes have a blessed day

Frozen Cabbage
Using Frozen Cabbage
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesJune 27, 2011
Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
Adding Raw Food To Your Diet
Growing Cabbage, Selecting Good Broccoli, Freezing Cabbage
Freezing Cabbage
A dog with a raw steak in its bowl.
Feeding Dogs a Raw Diet
Bok choy growing in a field.
Growing Chinese Cabbage