Learn About Your Equipment From Repairmen

contest winner icon

The gas man just came to look at my vintage gas stove, which we had restored. Even though I have had it for years, by watching him and asking questions, I learned a lot I didn't know about my stove and its care. Do you know that older gas stoves are better because they are more adjustable? (He also showed me how to turn off the main gas valve in the event of an earthquake. )

In my experience, repairmen usually love to talk about their work! My mother learned so much about the heating system in our 50's house from the servicemen that she was able to keep it going for 50+ years! We only replaced it after her death. I am sure this gas stove will be here after I am gone, too!

By Pamphyila from Los Angeles

Long ago, things lasted. Now each mfg. got greedy and wanted more profit so they have what's called,

"Built-IN Obsolescence", such as a cheap part they KNOW will go out, or a part of a component that will go out but the owner is forced to by a whole "assembly" rather than be able to buy just the tiny part, the jerks! Also, we came very close to death when an A/C repairman gave us all of this "information" about how to make the furnace and a/c last a longer time. I suspected something was wrong and called a second one who took one look and said it was a MIRACLE that none of us got Carbon Monoxide poisoning because he SHOWED me

four quarter-sized rusted holes where it was leaking out into the circulated air, then into our home. This was an act of God, and I nearly fainted at seeing the holes the first "repairman" claimed would last! Be

careful that nothing unseen is passed up upon inspections. Now most all large appliances mid-priced are made to go out in 5-6 years, regardless.

If you get a good one and have taken better care of it, you are very lucky! I thank God for His watchfulness, wisdom and care for His children. : )

I think you make some very good points here!

Thank you for the idea!

I live in France so this may not be applicable to all readers, but the best solution to repairs of any kind is to find a repair guy from any of the former communist nations. They are well educated, used to keeping systems going without the right tools or parts and happy to work.

I believe them to be natures answer to planned obsolescence. I had a Turkish guy rebuild my garden walls, by himself with only a shovel, bringing everything in his battered old truck.

The local enterprise wanted to bring earth moving equipment and electric drills and a team of four. The price would have been 10 times more - of course. Somebody has to pay for all the outlay on daft equipment.

God Bless immigrants. They'll save us when the economy collapses completely.

Choosing a Good Repair Man
Home and Garden Repair OtherJuly 27, 2007
storing camping equipment
Storing Camping Equipment
Organized Dumbells
Organizing Fitness Equipment
A variety of sports equipment
Saving Money on Sports Equipment for School
Sporting Equipment
Environmental Impact of Your Sporting Equipment