Dog is Having Fecal Incontinence

My 14 yr-old Australian shepard mix has recently begun having problems with fecal incontinence. When he has to go, it doesn't matter where he is, he just goes. Every morning, we wake up to 3 or 4 piles of poop because he walks while doing it. I know he can't help it but it's driving me nuts. He also seems to have trouble getting up and sometimes when he's on the wood floor, his back legs sprawl out from under him and he can't get up without my help. Any suggestions? Thanks.

By duncansmom from CO

Yeah, I have a suggestion. This dog needs to see a veterinarian NOW.

Your dog could have many things, but all of them, only a veterinarian can diagnose, and recommend treatment.

He may have arthritis that causes him severe pain or inability to get up as normal, or even nerve damage so that he can't get up, and can't tell when he has to go.

Please do not wait, your pup has given you 14 wonderful years of his life. Take him to your vet NOW! I fear he is getting on in years. They do have doggie diapers online. He can not help himself, but a vet is necessary to help you decide what he needs! Please!

Please take your dog to the veterinarian. I know lots of things can be taken care of with diet change, behavior modifcation, etc. But this doesn't sound like it will get better on its own. In fact, it will probably get worse, so the vet is the only way to go.

My dog had these same symptoms and it was a brain tumor that got progressively worse. We finally had to put her to sleep, the only thing we could do for her as it was far progressed when the symptoms became evident. Of course, as one other person stated, it could be any number of things wrong, and severe arthritis is right up there at the top of the list.

Some vets will work with you and let you pay the bill in monthly installments if you aren't able to pay at the time of service.

I hope you read the July 23rd responses here before our responses being written today and have already taken your beloved poochie to the vet! If not, get out those car keys now!

Oh my. Yes, I had a 19 year old dog do this for the last 5 years of it's life. I had her put down last year because this turned to urinating while walking. It's a tough go. She/he is old. Doggy diapers are an option. Needless to say because of the urinating I've had to replace all carpets and floor tile.

Pets Dogs AdviceJuly 23, 2009
Stressed Dog
Dog Has Stress Incontinence
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Photo of an old dog.
Treating a Dog With Urinary Incontinence
bathroom toilet
Remedies for Incontinence