Best Cat Litter for Controlling Odor

I would like to know how to get rid of the smell from our cat litter box? I've tried all kinds of powders and different litters that are suppose to control the odor, but none have worked. Is there a special kind of litter out there that is proven to control both the urine and the poop odors?

By Linda from Brighton, MI

I have 2 litter boxes in my utility room.

I use Tidy Cat scoopable litter. Every time I scoop, I take a wet rag, spray a little household cleaner on it and wipe down the edges of the litter box. You would be surprised how much urine collects there. Another thing I've done is to put one of those automatic air freshener sprays on the wall beside the boxes. It sprays once every 30 minutes. You can set them to spray more often if you want. The units are a little pricey and so are the refills, but for this purpose, I think they are well worth the cost.

You may also want to wash out the entire litter pan periodically to eliminate odors that don't go away with the litter.

I can't stand the smell of a dirty litter box and actually have it in my office so I have a daily reminder to clean it, every morning. I've tried practically every litter out there and we use Freshstep for multiple cats, even though we're down to one cat now.

If I even get a slight whiff that Squirt did his business, I have to rush to the litter box to scoop it up before my dogs get to it.

My sister has one of those electric litter boxes, that cleans itself and she empties it daily and you would never know she had two, older cats.

Back when we had two cats, I would always sprinkle Baking Soda after cleaning and it helped.

I'm home full time now due to a very long, on-going recovery and I can honestly say I very rarely smell my litterbox at all and it's about 6 feet behind where I sit at my desk in a small bedroom that I use as an office.

Another thing I learned from experience, is the litterbox smelled a lot worse when my cats ate canned food, compared to just dry food when they were younger.

I also leave the top off, so it's a constant reminder to me, everytime I walk into my office, to check.

Dr. Elsey's is the best cat litter for odor control. You can get it at Petsmart. I'm not sure if Petco sells it.

Okoplus is excellent but keep it 3" deep it is also biodegradable & flushes away no problem.

Litter Box Odor
Pets CatsJune 23, 2011
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Cat exiting a litter box.
Cat Litter Mat Reviews
Cat in Litter Box
Preventing Litter Box Odors