Should I Reuse Gift Tissue Paper?

Is it considered tacky to reuse gift tissue paper when its wrinkled? Just curious.

Daphna from Alachua, Florida

Not tacky in my book at all. Esp with all the environmental awareness etc.

I have ironed tissue paper on low heat, no steam.

If it is still quite wrinkled I scrunch it up in a ball really tight to make it equally crinkled all over and then undo it it and sort of iron it out with my hands. It gives it an antique-ish look. LOL.

You could also try to accordian pleat it and cut it in strips to us more like you would use "Easter grass" and bury the gift in if the size warrants.

I re-use mine all the time. Why throw it out? Half the time it's all scrunched up to fill up a gift bag, so put the scrunched stuff on the bottom! Or cut off the torn bits. I was raised to unwrap lovely wrappings carefully, so they could be trimmed & used again - why not?

I always reuse mine. You can wrap gifts or use it in a gift bag, in which case it won't matter if it is scrunched. When I was expecting my last child I used the gift wrap from all the showers to line his dresser drawers. I taped the name of the person who had given the gift on it so that each time I opened it I had a nice reminder.

Always recycle whenever you can. The tissue paper usually is wrinkled up so, that makes no difference. :)

I agree with all the posters. Maybe for a wedding present I'd spring for some crisp new white tissue at the dollar store, but I've been re-using, crinkling, and ironing mine for decades! It's not tacky, it's environmentally intelligent! Go GREEN!

Almost forgot one more tip - run multiple colors through a paper shredder for colorful filler paper! Good for gifts or for padding items you're shipping.

I agree with everyone else, no it's not tacky and you are saving the environment.

We have a large family and we use the gift bags from the Dollar Store.

It's funny when we go to a birthday or anniversary to see the bags you gave returning again and again.

Thank you everyone for your wonderful comments.

Yes

You can roll it into roses or twist it into other flower shapes, this is a GREAT way to recycle as well as add flair to future presents

You can easily iron out the creases with your iron. We do this all the time at my house. We probably haven't purchased new paper in a year.

I have made cute cards by ironing crinkled tissue paper to freezer paper - put iron on low, flatten out tissue paper with hands, iron flattened tissue paper to shiny side of freezer paper, the shiny stuff on freezer paper fuses tissue paper to freezer paper, cut into card shape and fold, voila! a cute card (tissue paper on outside, white freezer paper on inside to write on). Tip: ironing on freezer paper side is a little easier

It's also good to use to pad something you're shipping, instead of using bubble wrap. Crinkling and wadding it up makes it take up more space. : D

I just iron on low if it's too wrinkled and reuse. Can even tell the difference!

I do all the time. When it's ripped, it is garbage though, I won't reuse it. It seems like the tissue paper is getting thinner and harder to reuse, because it so easily rips.

I reuse gift tissue paper all the time. For the ones that rip, I remove any tape and put it in my cleaning box. They're great for cleaning windows. :)

I reuse it if it's not too wrinkled. I sometimes use it to fill the bottom of the bag where it won't be noticed. Also, I like to make gift baskets and run the wrinkled paper through the shredder (one that makes strips and not confetti) and use it in the baskets. Makes a colorful basket and uses the older paper too so it doesn't go to waste.

Colorful Tissue Paper
Reusing Tissue Paper
Holidays and Parties Gifts AdviceApril 24, 2008
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Blue Tissue Paper Sticking out of Green Gift Bag
Crafts Using Tissue Paper
tissue paper flowers at wedding
Making Tissue Paper Flowers
Colorful Tissue Paper
Cleaning Tissue Paper Stains From Carpet
🎉
🎄