Isela Phelps' "Loom Knitting Primer"

I have a question about the "simple hat' pattern in Isela Phelps' loom knitting book. I am having trouble understanding how to decrease the crown. (I found that Beverly was confused too and Cyinda came back with great instructions.) The only question I still have is, moving every 3rd stitch to the right, I count the first 1, 2, 3 and move. Do I start counting to 3 again starting with peg #3 that has 2 stitches now? Or do I start counting on pegs 4, 5, 6 and moving #6 over? Thanks so much!

By mamaslom from Yorba Linda, CA

I to tried many ways and finally did it this way. I needed my loom empty! Move the loop on peg 1 to peg 2, the loop on peg 3 to peg 4, continue around the loom , moving loops on odd numbered pegs to the adjacent even number pegs. e-wrap all pegs, passing the yarn behind the empty pegs (on the inside of the loom). Knit off all pegs. Then I did the gathered method and weave in the ends. Came out great. I don't know if I want to try any more patterns in her book!

February 7, 2011 Flag

"Loom Knitter Primer" is a book written by Isela Phelps. The project I am working on is "Simple Hat", page 38. The instructions to shape the crown of the hat, do not make sense. If I have 36 pegs in the loom and move every third stitch over one space to the right I cannot possibly end up with 24 pegs with 2 loops and 12 empty pegs. What am I doing wrong?

By Lilli from FL

June 27, 2010 Flag

I have a question about Isela Phelps' "Loom Knitting Primer". I can't find a way to get the answer. On the first project (a hat) on page 38, the instructions for shaping the crown are very confusing. Take every 3rd stitch and slip to the peg on the right. You then knit around. You do this for 2 rows. It does not make sense to me. On the second round you cannot stretch the stitches so far. What about these directions aren't I getting? Thanks so much.

Isela Phelps' "Loom Knitting Primer"

Basically you are just knitting 2 stitches at a time instead of 1 at a time. I'm wondering if you're thinking they are saying to knit around them, meaning NOT to knit them, but to knit "around" them, leaving them sit. They really may mean to knit a round of stitches, meaning to knit one row around. I don't have the book, but here's what I think you should do:

If you're knitting from the bottom up (from the largest part of the hat to the smallest), put every 3rd stitch on to the peg at the right, then knit each stitch. (You will skip and won't be knitting every 3rd peg where there is now "no" yarn because it's been moved to the next peg). On the pegs where the stitch has been moved and now there are 2 stitches, just knit the 2 stitches together like it was "one" stitch.

Now for the next round, you should now have totally brand new stitches on it. You can now move every third stitch to the right and do it again. But if you have a problem you can knit one more row like a regular row then do the "next" row like above, where you slip every third stitch to the right. It shouldn't be a big deal to decrease on one row, then knit a regular row, then decrease on the next row. You shouldn't have to decrease on "every" row! As you know, when you knit 2 stitches together, you are decreasing. If I've totally confused you, you can write me directly here on ThriftyFun.

I'm by no means an advanced knitter, I just know the basics, but give me a crochet hook and I can rule the world! (11/14/2008)

By Cyinda

Isela Phelps' "Loom Knitting Primer"

When you move the stitch over and put 2 onto the one peg, you will be decreasing one stitch when you knit around. That is the two stitches on the peg will be used as one and therefore you will have less stitches. I do not use the looms, but you may have to move the stitches over so they are closer together. Perhaps you wind tightly and that is why it is too tight between stitches. If you are knitting in the round, you may have to transfer to a smaller circular loom. If you crochet, I would just take a hook and crochet every other stitch together two times around. (11/17/2008)

By Har'iet

Isela Phelps' "Loom Knitting Primer"

You need to join a group that is especially for loom knitting. You can join Ravelry and/or Yahoo. After you join, search on loom knitting and join the groups you want to. It is very helpful, along with patterns. (11/18/2008)

By Barbara

Isela Phelps' "Loom Knitting Primer"

You can join Iselas group at:

It's a great group! You'll enjoy it and learn so much. Happy looming. (11/19/2008)

By mfgershman

Crafts KnittingFebruary 7, 2011