Removing Grime from Wood Doors without Refinishing Them

I have 100 year old Florida pine wood doors. They must have 100 years of dirt from hands on them and would like to know if any one knows how to get the grime out. I really don't want to refinish them if I don't have to.

Nelly from Kissimmee St.Cloud, FL

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Marty Dick 163 955 01/29/2008

Try straight vinegar in a spray bottle with liberal amounts of elbow grease.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By LAnBfflo 15 01/29/2008

My house is nearly 100 years old, and my doors and woodwork (beadboard wainscoting in the kitchen, 8-inch baseboards, wooden divider between the living room and dining room), though thankfully unpainted, get grimy and "gunky". My sister bought a can of "Cabinet Magic" at Home Depot for me. It's made for these such things. The stuff is pretty cheap (not as cheap as vinegar), $5 a can or less.
Also, if you have a dollar store near you, try the awesome spray. It's a terrific de-greaser.
Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By LuvMyGingerKids 46 316 01/29/2008

You can't beat Murphy's oil soap for cleaning any kind of wood! Try it with a scruffy sponge or even some steel wool (test in an inconspicuous spot first)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Beth 25 1,120 02/01/2008

Can someone tell me why when I try Murphy's Oil Soap the wood always ends up looking dull and filmy? So many people swear by this stuff that I'd like to know what I am doing wrong!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Sharon (Guest Post) 02/02/2008

Try mineral spirits. You will need to ventilate the rooms, because of the odor.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Shirley (Guest Post) 05/04/2008

You are not doing anything wrong with your technique with the Murphy's Oil. I just had a long talk with the manufacturer of my hardwood floor. Guess what, Murphy's Oil is the problem. It builds up a residue and that is what you are seeing. I have the same problem. Now I am trying to figure out how to get rid of the residue.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Jessica (Guest Post) 12/05/2008

I actually used straight pinesol to clean grime from my wooden floors. I just dumped a little in the grimy area and then used a big scrubber brush and within 10 seconds it lifted the grime right up. It did no damage to our floor at all, just brought up the grime. Once I had a good little pile of lifted grime cleaning, I wiped it up with a dry rag and then sprayed it with straight water and buffed with another dry rag. I did little areas at a time, dumping-scrubbing-lifting-rinsing-buffing. It cost about 2 dollars to do the entire house.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No