Recycled Jean Quilt

Old jeans recycled to make a quilt with a flannel backing.

Approximate Time: 12 hours

• old jeans
  • flat flannel sheet
  • any color thread
  • large shears
  • small scissors
  • cardboard

Instructions:

The jeans and flannel are pre-washed, before cutting. After the desired shape of the quilt block is determined, cut your cardboard to the shape. I usually do a simple shape and start cutting the jean pieces.

After the jean pieces are all cut I find it easier to pin each on the flannel sheet and cut. I then sew a basting stitch around the 2 pieces and start making my stacks. I like my quilts BIG, so I usually try to use the biggest flannel sheet I can find. You don't usually have much waste of the sheet.

When I start piecing them together, I put a whole row together and lay it across a bed to get a idea of how many rows I will need, then I snip all the edges and continue to sew the rows together.

After I have all the rows sewn together I wash the quilt. It will be frayed on every edge, but because the edges are all snipped it makes it easier to pull all the threads. I put it in the dryer and dry it only about 90% dry. Jean material is very giving and can be pulled to shape. I then lay it on a clothes line in the basement and start pulling threads, this takes awhile, but it sure turns out nice.

By Sue from Whitinsville, MA

I have wanted to make a quilt from my husband's Fire Dept. patches from his shirts. That would be a good one to use those on. Thanks.

Awesome job. I have load of jeans that need to be cut and I'll make it into a quilt one of these days. Now you've given me some inspiration... Thank you

dru

That is a really neat idea and simple to do!! Thanks! I'm gonna try it also with sweatshirts and sweatpants fabrics with some flannels from shirts. Kind of mix up different kinds throughout my quilt. Kill the cabin fever some.