AdviceBeauty

Cosmetic Surgery Advice

Hey any other baby boomers. I am thinking about cosmetic surgery - my waist, hips, and rear end need work! Any suggestions or hints?

Jackisue from Shreveport, LA

How about exercise, a diet or weight loss plan, haircut or shopping assistant to make the most of what you have? I am sure you are beautiful just the way you are!

I am saving my surgery and anesthesia for when I need a life saving operation. While I despise my cellulite...I have learned to live with it!

I'm not a baby boomer (I'm 25), but I just watched a documentary on HBO the other night called "Plastic Disasters." I'm sure those were some pretty extreme cases and not all plastic surgery goes wrong, but it scared the heck out me. I walked away from that show thinking that I'm thankful for what I have (even though it's grown a few pounds in the last few years) and I'll just have to work with what I was given. NOTHING was worth losing limbs & having permanent damage as a result of that kind of surgery. If you're going to consider it, make sure you get a really good idea of the risks and long-term consequences, as well as the potential great results.

I really agree with what Diana wrote. Are you wanting to change yourself ....for yourself or for others? I am 54 and I know good and well the changes that have taken place over the years but that is just part of aging. I did less drastic measures, had my teeth straightened and I color my hair. I am told I don't look my age which makes me feel good but ya know, I think I'm pretty happy with myself. I just wouldn't put myself through it....good luck to you tho if you do!

Good ideas. As a 'baby boomer' in her later 50s (am beginning to have birthdays w/o numbers - smile), all those wrinkles, sags and what-have-yous are grudgingly accepted .... I don't like them; they make me look too old or older than i feel. Each successive year brings new or deeper ones. But hey, like for most of us, my health comes first. The rest can slide. Like Kathy wrote, think of all the surgical horror stories... that small percentage of error could be yours.

What counts are our faith, friends, family, talents and moral values. Hold on to each as long as possible then learn to adapt to the changes.

Once our outer beauty has become blurred with the years, people will still love us. It's only the shallow or the uninformed who think our beauty is 'skin deep'. What I do is commisserate w/fellow getting-olders so we can comfort each other or crack jokes about it. Laughter is healthy. Check out the Maxine cartoons when you need a lift :o)

Cosmetic surgery seems a strange subject for a thrifty/fun newsletter- would it be either thrifty or fun? Now, if someone waved a wand and made me thin, tall and blond, I"d take the magic in a minute, but since that seems unlikely, I , as per Diana's advice, will continue to exercise, forego take out food and save the surgery for saving my life

Take the advice of someone who used to be a beauty junkie. When I was younger and turned 50 I started thinking every line would be the end of life. I even started having colligen injections. Then I got sick and had health problems. Believe me my looks were the last thing I thought about. I grew spiritually and started thinking how to help other people. No one can stay beautiful forever, people will most likely like you better if you are a real person with a good heart and lovely inside. I like Diana's advice and Gators. Good Luck,

Though I agree with all of your comments. I say, if it makes you feel better and you can afford it, go for it! You don't necessarily have to have lack of self esteem or be preoccupied with the outer part to desire making the inside and outside match up.

I am almost 57 and am considering a tummy tuck. I had 2 ceasarian sections back in the day, cut vertically. I have a drooping tummy with no stomach muscles. I probably could wear a size or two smaller if I was tightened up....so why not?

Amaya

The trouble with plastic surgery is #1 that there are scars - #2 it rarely looks natural, especially in the case of face lifts. (I live in S. California - where there are lots of bad ones.) I think Joan Rivers looks weird, myself. I would avoid it personally, unless there were dire need.

The best preventative is maintenance - keep everything from sagging too disasterously - but if the damage is already done, that's another problem. I work on my cellulite with water massage in the hot tub & the new creams - & use all sorts of stuff for my face and eyes.There are some things out there over the counter that work - like the skin lighteners.

I think the most beautiful way to be is HEALTHY. That provides good skin, and glossy hair. We can tweak the rest. But we can't disguise or pretend that we are of another epoch. So we have to make the most of what you have. What is it? Good legs? Wear skirts to show them off. Nice hair? Don't cut it too short. Good shoulders - reveal them once in a while. And so on.

The thing American women never seem to develop is chic. That's what makes the stylish older European woman. That and a personal sense of style, an assurance that younger women lack. So watch your haircut - a more expensive one is worth it now. Do less makeup - just touches here & there - Take good care of your skin - Exercise and take vitamins - Dress simply but with style.

Not only is that frugal, but it's saner. If you are on a thrifty site, I don't think you wold be able to go to tthe top surgeons & anywhere else you run the risk of disasters. And DON'T under any circumstances have anything major done in an office without an anesthesiologist. I knew of an actress who did and who died as a result. Anytime you are under anesthesia you are putting your life at risk. Hey, I don't even trust that having botox, which is botulism, put in an area that close to my brain!

Remember, sometimes what is done cannot really be undone - even today.

I am 44 and I have had 4 c-sections and a hysterectomy. I have done it all for my kids and husband. Now it is time for me. Because of all the surgerys, I have a tummy that needs to be straight. I have visited 5 doctors in my area (shreveport) and now I have found the one that will do my tummy tuck and I know he will do a great job! He took the time to explain what he will do. He also drew it on the paper as to how my scar would be. He made sure he knew every thing about me. I feel that this doctor will do the best job. I also have a couple of friends that have had the surgery with him. I am excited about it. I also think that excercise, weight loss is a great idea. Go and have your surgery!