Causes of Eczema in Children

Could my dog's fur be the cause to my son's eczema? My dog as shed twice as much since my son has been born and she is a very hairy dog. It blows around everywhere and gets on clothing.

By Sonya from Great Britain

I don't know if it might be causing the eczema, but your dog might be shedding more due to stress. I know that one of my cats is a shedder anyway, and when she gets stressed, it gets much worse. Perhaps dogs are the same way. If your son is new, maybe your dog is stressed out adjusting to the new family member.

Maybe call your pediatrician's office, and run this past the nurse. I can call my daughter's office and speak to a nurse (usually I have to leave a message, and they call back shortly), and if she needs to, she'll speak to the doctor. If the fur ends up being the culprit, a better filter for your heating/AC unit would help. We also have a free-standing air filter/purifier that helps catch a lot of stuff. And vacuuming. We have a Dyson DC17 Animal (before they came out with the ball-style vacuums) that picks up loads of cat hair. Brushing regularly will help catch some of the hair, our vet showed us the Furminator brush. Yes, the one from the infomercials. It's pricey, but it REALLY helps with her shedding. I use it only on my shedder cat, and I'm careful not to over-do it (I read a review where some goof complained that she was mindlessly brushing her cat while on the phone and made a bald spot!). Hopefully all that will be enough to reduce the amount of loose hair around the house.

Best of luck, I hope your son's skin improves soon, and hope some of these ideas help with the dog hair!

Eczema is candida over-growth. Almost all skin issues are. There is a lot I could say, but I am so tired. Been through a lot of health issues lately, but look into the candida issue. You can try oregano oil in capsules, it's an anti-fungal.

If your son is allergic to the dog, it can be confirmed with a test. But since animal allergies don't tend to manifest as eczema, probably that's not the problem. The candida overgrowth is more likely the culprit.

No... a pet's fur is not the cause of atopic dermatitis (eczema). A pets dander, however, can severely exacerbate it If, indeed, you own a pet (usually cats and dogs). Eczema is a skin disorder that is usually hereditary, will be tolerable one day and flare up the next, is characterized by extremely dry, flakey, itchy skin (if bad enough, will have open sores, cracked skin, etc.), but is also treatable.

There is no "cure," per se, for the disorder, but with a highly knowledgeable and competent doctor (preferably a specialist- one who works with pediatric eczema cases), is much easier to keep in check. When my son was about 7, his eczema got sooo bad, his skin split and he had open wounds to the point where he could not bend his limbs, it became impossible for him to walk, take baths, etc.

We took him to a good hospital, where he was seen by a world-renowned pediatric dermatologist (who ONLY worked with children with eczema). This dr. said, my son's eczema was so bad, in his entire career, he had only seen two, other cases worse than my sons(He was admitted to the hospital, where he stayed for nearly a week. He was given antibiotics via i.v., not permitted to bathe (baths/or long showers dry the skin out further) and had his skin applied with petroleum jelly (Vaseline), Eucerin cream (in the tub) AND a non-steroidal ointment called Protopic. The skin with the open wounds (not just dry skin) were also wrapped and bound (not too tight) with gauze.

At the end of the week, he was able to walk out of the hospital by himself=) What a wonderful day! There are so many, different "old wives tales" and "tips" people will give you. Do not pay attention to them! I say this from experience. Unless you are highly trained/or educated in these cases/or have had first-hand experience with such cases, there is no way you can possibly know how to treat such a delicate and sensitive part of a child's body (the skin). I will pray for you, that things work out and your son finds relief from this awful disorder. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me off-group.

Okay, I'm not a child and don't recall my children having this problem. However, I do know my eczema is connected with my allergies. I've been allergic to dust and animal dander since I was a child, too, so my guess is the two are connected. My poor mom literally had to work herself to a frazzle cleaning just so I wouldn't constantly walk around with a case of permanent hives.

If your health plan includes an "Ask-a-Nurse" service, please do call and ask. You may not cure your baby, but can make his or her life a bit more comfortable.

Health & Beauty AdviceJanuary 27, 2010
Hand with eczema rash
Remedies for Eczema
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
A girl popping a pimple.
What Causes Acne?
Young woman scratching her head furiously.
Dandruff Remedies