Round Steak and Rice

• 1 lb. lean beef round steak
  • 1/4 cup flour seasoned with seasoning salt (or Mrs. Dash for a more healthy season!), pepper, and garlic powder
  • 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil (I recommend canola oil)
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup beef broth (bullion works well, but watch the salt content!)
  • 1/2 tsp. thyme (optional)
  • 1 (4 oz.) can sliced mushrooms and liquid (or fresh, sauteed to match)
  • 1 can "very, young and tender" peas (or frozen)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 3 - 4 cups cooked rice

Directions:

Cut meat into 1 inch cubes. Mix flour and seasonings together. Roll meat in flour mix (placing flour mix in a paper or plastic bag, adding meat, then shaking makes this easy!) Quickly brown coated meat in oil. Add onions, broth, and liquid from mushrooms. (If using fresh mushrooms and bullion, be sure liquid just covers meat mixture.) Cover and simmer (low heat) for 45 minutes or until meat is tender. Add the mushrooms and peas. Cover and cook 5 - 7 minutes further. Stir in sour cream and heat, but do not boil! Serve over cooked rice.

Source: A favorite recipe of mine from the early 70's. It was in a magazine as an ad for rice! "You can have a good meal for two, or a Great meal for 6 from one round steak". I have found that it works for chicken, pork chops, and any beef cut. If you don't have the ingredient, that's fine. My kids didn't like onions or mushrooms. Oh, well! If you think of something to add, it's all good. It's been so long, I don't know where to give credit!

By Jan W from Atlanta, GA

I have often seen round steak on sale but hesitated to buy it as I thought it was a tough cut of meat but this recipe does it for me. I will no longer bypass round steak anymore. Yay, another meat choice!

round steak
Round Steak Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Meats Beef SteaksApril 18, 2011
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
steaks in a supermarket meat case
Saving Money on Steak
A plate of cooked brown rice.
Cooking Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker
🎉
🎄