Soak Dog Food in Water

If your pet eats dry food you should consider soaking it in equal amounts of water to soften the kibble. I was told by my great uncle, who was a sheriff that worked with German Shepherds, that if you don't soak the food, the dogs intestines will get tangled if they eat it dry for prolonged periods of time.

Source: My Great Uncle Ron

By Quinnifer from CA

I can't imagine that's strictly true, as a lot of dogs have to eat dry food always. Plus all my dogs have grown up eating dry food and were fine- and of my current two, the oldest is almost 11. I know though that if they are prone to bloat, it helps.

Have to agree with Jron7667, and we've raised GSD's, a Golden Retriever, and a Belgian Malinois over the past 35 years and all of them ate (and the current gal, eating) dry kibble and have had no health problems connected to feeding. But, all of them have always been big fans of the water bowl and we also supplemented the dry food with raw vegetables for snacking, which probably also helps "move things along", LOL. My father also had GSD's and swore by wet kibble, but he had a few dogs that had dental issues. Knock on wood, we haven't ever had that and think that the dry food helps scrape tartar from the teeth.

I agree with Jron and PupperMom. I've had dogs all my life (close to 60 yrs) and almost all have been fed dry food with no problems. The only time I've switcched to wet is if one of them had dental problems. Knock on wood that's only happened once. As long as there is lots of water available dogs and cats do just fine on dry food. Mine even do better with dry. I tried my current 2 (dachshunds) on wet for a while and they weren't as happy or as healthy. So they are back on dry and doing great. My cat also eats strictly dry and has had no problems and is very healthy and active.

When feeding dry food I was told keep pets away from water for at least an hour after eating. Also do not let dogs run around wildly after eating. This can cause bloat in some dogs.

dog eating food
Healthy Additions to Your Pet's Food
Pets Dogs Dog Food RecipesOctober 12, 2010
Stamps and Colored Ink
Cleaning Foam Stamps
Well water running a in a sink.
Removing Rust from Well Water
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Uses for Plastic Dog Food Containers