HealthDogs

Euthanizing Puppies With Parvo

Is it animal cruelty for a vet to put 4 month old pups with parvo to sleep without treatment first?

By calicrystal from Soledad , CA

It is not cruelty, it is merciful. The vet has to make a judgement call, are they healthy enough to survive the treatment, or are they already so weak that treatment would just prolong the suffering? It is never an easy decision, but having someone second guess what is done out of mercy makes it that much harder. I assume you trust the vet since you took the puppies in, so trust that they made the correct decision. I am not a vet, but my daughter works at an animal shelter and my wife volunteers there as well. We have fostered many animals besides our own pets, and, as difficult as it is, sometimes euthanasia is much more humane.

No, it's not cruel. What is cruel is to breed (or allow free breeding) dogs without any thought of care after the pups are born. Treating parvo costs a lot of money and the outcome is often grim. If a person hasn't vaccinated by that age there has to be a reason and it's often lack of money. It's a good guess there wouldn't be money to treat paro either. Allowing suffering and free breeding and lack of basic care...now that's cruelty!

I think they would of made it. Their sister did.

Euthanizing an animal is not painful for the animal, and it often is the end of pain. I think it's more painful for us to contemplate.

It is not cruel. I've had a terrible week. My first dog had a serious eye infection and snapped at everyone (we had him for 3 weeks). We took him back to the Humane society and they put him down.

Now today my 4 month old puppy has parvo but we are fighting this one with home treatment with items provided by the vet. In this case the vet said we caught it early.

To make it worse I have a 15 year and a 4 year old children at home. The oldest already lost a dog 4 years ago due to cancer. I tell you it is a hard thing to enthanize a dog who is part of your family. I'll never forget the last look of the two labs I lost. I'm just praying now it is not 3, at least not for a long time.