Winter Ice in Cooler for Food Storage

We have had some brutally cold snowy weather already here in NE Ohio. I had my husband bring in a cooler from garage to use for the extra storage I needed for holiday leftovers, but I realized I didn't have enough ice for the cooler. Not to worry, there's enough ice hanging off of the gutters for a fresh batch every day, as much as needed. Problem solved!

By msburny from Cortland, OH

I use my garage as a fridge for things like apples, oranges, potatoes, onions and for chilling soda pop or other beverages. It was 35 degrees in there yesterday.

If the ice has bird or squirrel droppings from the roof in it, even if you can't see it, you can contaminate your food containers.

I use coolers on the deck for extra fridge freezer space. Some holidays they full to the top, never have to add the ice to it. Especially when guests arrive and things need to be kept cold or frozen til use. A real pain to come up with extra space. For things that can't be outside but still chilled, bring a cooler into the back porch, my husband uses empty juice jugs filled with water and frozen as clean ice. It thaws, toss back into freezer again.

When we run to the shopping center an hr away, we always toss one of those frozen juice jugs in the cooler in the back of the car. With it being clean water used, you can use it for drinking, water in the radiator (been there done that), etc.

Why not simply keep the cooler in your garage on the floor? Keeps it at a steady cold temp without having to add ice. We leave things like flavored liquid coffee creamers, etc. outside all winter in garage coolers. They are treats, so why keep them where you can easily grab one? Stocking up with sales is cheaper, too, knowing you have plenty of coolers, and space!

My neighbor always has a huge annual New Year's Eve party. They put all drinks outside on a patio table to save valuable space inside. All the soda pop and liquour stays cold! Plus, you have to really want that mixed drink to stand there and create it while cold. Less alcohol gets consumed, less ice required to spend money on!

Holiday Turkey Ready for Freezing
Storing Holiday Food
Food and Recipes StorageDecember 28, 2010
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice, Man Cleaning Snow and Ice off of Windshield
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice
Valentine's ice cream sandwiches.
Ice Cream Cake Hearts
Snow Ice Cream
Snow Ice Cream Recipes
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield