Cleaning Eye Glasses

The nose support of my eye glasses (little rubber parts) developed some green bacteria. I used alcohol wipes to get rid of the bacteria, but they re-develop after 2 weeks or so. Can you share a tip on how to solve this for good?

By JohnC from Seattle, WA

Call eyeglass stores and see if you can get them to replace them. It's worth a shot to prevent an infection on your nose.

I suspect that the green you are finding is not bacteria, but rather, tarnish. The acids in your skin oil are creating tarnish when it comes into contact with metal parts on your glasses.

If you think this could be it; one way to slow it down would be to first clean your glasses thoroughly, making sure all oils are removed. A soft-bristle toothbrush with a little dish soap would be good. Then, once the glasses are completely dry, paint the metal parts on the nose pieces with clear nail polish. You might need to renew it now and then.

The part of the glasses that go over the nose are called the bridge and the pieces of the bridge that rest on the nose are called nose pads. The nose pads are usually made of hard plastic. Some folks buy soft rubber pads that adhere to the nose pads. If this what you have you can peel off the rubber pads from the nose pads and replace them. I used to put the rubber pads on my glasses and bought them at Wal Mart. Other than that why not take the glasses to an optician and have them check the glasses out. Most will do it at no charge.

Mine did that [they were metal] from lotion on my face. I stopped putting lotion in that area and doesn't happen anymore.

This is from the nickel in metal alloy frames. You are probably allergic to nickel; that's why this is happening. Try purchasing stainless steel or plastic frames. It happened to me also until I learned to by only stainless frames. Also try half-rim or rimless frames. Be sure to have your glasses adjusted so they aren't laying on your face.

My old pair of eyeglasses did that. The little nosepads fit over and around a metal part that would tarnish and turn green, making the clear pads greenish. Finally it would become green all the way up inside the pads where it couldn't be cleaned, so I'd take them to eyeglass shops who'd clean the metal & replace the pads for maybe $4. It'd look good awhile.

Finally, one place replaced the metal holder with a different kind that held a solidly made nose pad on it's own protruding clear hinge, instead of the type I had where the pad fit over the metal like a shoe. Problem was fixed for around $6! I bought my current eyeglasses from ZenniOptical online where even the really good titanium frames are so inexpensive, and no more tarnish ever happens anywhere. A quick fix is to try different shops until you find one who'll replace the metal part and give you solid clear pads, but next time, try titanium so nothing will turn green.

I can't answer you question but I had some replaced at one time and wasn't charged anything. It may have been Walmart; not sure but I'd call around.