Corn Is Tasseling But Has No Ears

My corn plants are very healthy, over 6 ft now in tassel, but no ears. Also, my beets are not developing.

I rotate crops, compost, the soil is very rich, and well drained. I have drip watering 20 minutes every other day in the early AM. My other crops include cucumbers, peppers, zucchini, eggplant, and tomatoes are plentiful.

Hardiness Zone: 9b

By Ralph from Los Angeles

Give it more time. Sounds like it's plenty tall, but if you've had a long cold and / or wet growing season, it's just going to take it longer to "make" corn. My grandfather always said, "Honey, it takes whatever time it takes", and I think he was referring to Mother Nature who is whimsical to say the least.

Unless it's planted in "Blocks", it may not be getting pollinated enough. Long straight rows of corn never do as well as shorter rows that are in blocks like 12 corn stalks long and 12 corns stalks wide if that makes sense. In a large cornfield, it's always the "inside" rows that have the most corn on them.

Good Luck to you.

August 18, 2010 Flag

My corn is about 4 feet high and is tasseling, but no ears of corn. Any suggestions why not?

Ed from Salem, OR

Corn Is Tasseling But Has No Ears

My ears of corn started appearing about a week or so after the tassels. (08/22/2008)

By Katie A.

Corn Is Tasseling But Has No Ears

I think it just needs to grow more. Four feet high is not that tall for corn, although it depends on the variety. Many types of corn require a long growing season. I doubt that there is anything wrong with it. Let it be for a couple more weeks of hot weather. (08/22/2008)

By louel53

Corn Is Tasseling But Has No Ears

Corn is wind-pollinated and should be planted in blocks of at least 4 rows for good pollination to occur. Also, if you are in a climate that has experienced low temperatures or too much moisture, or certainly any frost, that will have damaged your chances or at least delayed them. (08/23/2008)

By Brian

Corn Is Tasseling But Has No Ears

This question was mine and I thank all those that responded. I was just not patient enough, the ears are coming out nicely. I got the garden in late, because of the unusually cooler and wet spring. (09/11/2008)

By Ed from Salem

Home and Garden Gardening VegetablesAugust 18, 2010
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
Chihuahua puppy
Puppy's Ears Aren't Standing Up
Growing Indian Corn
Growing Indian Corn
A stack of corn tortillas.
Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipes