Rotten Meat Smell in Freezer

How do I get the smell of rotten meat out of the freezer of our RV?

By Kaybird from College Station, TX

Best Answer

Use charcoal briquettes, the ones for barbeques. Leave them inside the compartment. Line it first with foil. Replace the charcoal every 24 hours until the smell has gone completely. When it's no longer offensive, clean the area with some white vinegar.

Good luck!

Monique :)

Best Answer

My freezer was accidentally switched off for about 10 days, full of meat and smelled terrible! I cleaned it out with a strong vinegar solution, then bicarb soda, but the smell was still really strong and I was starting to panic that I'd have to replace the whole thing. When I pulled the whole freezer out, I saw that blood (from the meat) had dripped down into the recess - a lot of it. Luckily once that was cleaned out, the smell started to dissipate!

Then I cleaned every surface in the room with vinegar and put newspaper sheets down all over the floor with coffee granules, to deodorize. And opened every door/window in the house. 24 hours later, there is only a faint smell! So relieved! (the stench was terrible before). I think I'll have to keep the coffee granules out for a while. After about 3-4 days of airing the freezer, I'll try switching it back on but the coffee inside, to soak up any remnants of the smell. Hopefully I'll be able to use it in about 1-2 weeks.

I had the same problem but in my house the freezer got unplugged and didn't noticed for 2 weeks. We washed it with Javax well. I put a plate full of baking soda in it for 3 or 4 days. Threw it out and refilled the plate with used dried out coffee grounds. Did this for 3 times. 3 or 4 days at a time. The smell went away. The freezer was plugged in the whole time. Before the treatment the rotten smell was horrible but finally took it away. We are now using our freezer again. Hope this works. Patience is a virtue. I don't have much but it paid out this time. It took 2 weeks but worked out.