Beach Glass Pendant

After finding many pieces of beach glass on a trip to Lake Erie, I had to make something with it. I wrapped the glass in a wire and hung it from a chain.

I collected many pieces of glass on my first trip to the beach. It's was fun to see the different sizes, colors, shapes, and textures there were to be found. Besides just glass bottles, it also can be from broken shards of dinnerware, flower pots, vases, etc. So don't overlook those other kinds of beach glass. They are all unique.

The internet gives you a lot of ideas and instructions on drilling holes in the glass. I however wanted to do a simpler design on my first attempt. They suggest you use sterling silver 18 g. or 20 g. 1/2 hard wire. I used what I had and will purchase the better wire as I become more skilled. On the website Etsy, they have lots of pendants you can get ideas from. I first spent many hours researching the process of jewelry making before I wrapped my first piece. I was happy with my results.

Approximate Time: 1/2 hour

• needle nose pliers
  • wire cutters
  • 22 gauge steel wire
  • beach glass
  • chain
  • safety glasses

Instructions:

1. Choose a piece and decide which will be the front. Also, decide which is top or bottom.

2. Wear safety glasses and cut a random piece of wire, about 8 inches long. It's all guess work in the beginning.

3. I eyeballed it and took the center portion and made the bail, looping the wire around the needle nose pliers.

4. Be sure to wrap as tight and close to the glass as possible. Remember, besides the wire being the design it also is your way of holding the glass in place. Wrap top, bottom or sides so it does not come out of the "cage" of wire.

5. Be sure to end in the back. Cut if any extra wire and bend the end so no sharp edges are sticking out.

6. You can do swirls of wire, sharp bends and zig zags. Be creative. Experiment.

7. Hang from a chain.

8. The first one I made is my gift to me.

By Little Suzy from OH

What a great project! And the finished product is beautiful.

For those of us who can't get to a beach - I found a wonderful bagful of beach glass at a dollar store this past month. I think I paid $3. Finding it (of course) would be much more fun, but I live far far from a beach & it just isn't likely.

Really pretty.

A pile of rounded beach glass.
Crafts Using Beach Glass
Crafts JewelrySeptember 4, 2009
Making an Easy Bead Pendant
Making an Easy Bead Pendant
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Gluing Glass to Glass
Gluing Glass to Glass
Making a Hot Glue Pendant
Making a Hot Glue Pendant
🎉
🎄