Memory Trick For Medications

I take multiple medications and usually sort them out into a pill carrier every two weeks. However, I have one pill that I take twice a day at different times than my other meds. This pill I take an hour before breakfast and supper. I take it when I first wake up. Sometimes I had trouble remembering if I took the afternoon dose because the times might change if I had taken a nap or been out for awhile. This has not been a problem since I got the idea, after taking the afternoon dose, to turn the bottle upside down. If it is upside down, I know I have taken it. This could work for any med taken directly from the bottle each day.

By Linda L from Bloomington, IL

wow, that is a great idea!

So simple and yet such a wonderful tip for those of us with overcrowded minds and lives.

What an easy, clever idea! One of my dogs is on phenobarb twice a day for seizures and sometimes I do things on 'auto-pilot' while my mind is engaged elsewhere. Consequently, I sometimes can't remember whether he has gotten his med or not. I will definitely use this trick to keep track.

I have allot of meds to take so every night I put my meds in a container for the next day. I also keep a container with just enough meds for one day in a hidden place in my car, that way if I forget them I have some for while I am out. I also and this is a good idea if you travel have a paper printed out with your meds on it. I carry a book also with my Doctor's number and who is to be called in case of emergency. That way if we are on the road I have all important things with me.

Another thing I do is keep my meds in a lock box beside my bed and my purse near by, that way if there is a fire at night I grab them and out the bedroom window we go. Our bed is close to the window so we can get out easy just in case the awful event would happen. You really do not seem to think of these things until you start getting older! Darlene

At a certain age, these tips are priceless.

Have you considered a pill timer? I have one that I set to go off every four hours. Take a look at! I use 2 kinds of shampoo and alternate their use. I turn the most recently used upside down in a basket in the shower.

Be careful about leaving meds in your car. Cars heat up very quickly and can change the chemical composition of the pills, making them ineffective or worse, dangerous to take.

Also, hiding unmarked pills could cause you some problems if stopped by the police and they decide to search your car. Target stores give you a small slip of paper with each refill that has your name, pharmacy and doctor's info. It also gives the name of the med and a complete description. I keep a copy of each of these clipped together in my purse in case I'm taken to the ER.

Now that I have so many prescriptions that I bought some small bottles, taped each bottle with a prescription slip and put a couple of the appropriate meds in each one. These all go into a small zippered cosmetic case and into my purse.

Ha! Great minds think alike. I do the same thing.

Organizing Medication
Organizing Medications
Health & Beauty Prescription DrugsJuly 17, 2006
Display Collections In A Memory Box
Making A Memory Box
Simple square block quilt made from vintage fabric.
Making a Memory Quilt
High School Reunion
Making Memory Books for a High School Reunion