Making a Braided Denim Rug

How do I make a denim rag rug? Is there a special tool to roll the material? If not, how do you keep the cut edges from showing? How wide would I cut the strips, etc.? Please advise. Thanks very much.

By Helen from Kamloops, B.C. CANADA

It has been ages since I braided a rug, but will try to help. The width of the strips depends on the thickness of the braid/rug you desire. The strips, if they are folded inside like bias tape, will not have any raw edges.

You will want the strips wide enough to make a rather plump braid or you will be forever getting it sewn together. Sew the strips end to end at a diagonal and don't have all three strips ending at the same place so the braid will continue smoothly.

You can also just overlap the strip before it is folded and you can braid right on. Again, don't have the ends all at the same place or it will be a little weak at that point.

Good luck.

January 26, 2010 Flag

I would like to know how to make a braided denim rug. Has anyone ever done this and if so, could you please give me instructions?

Thanks so much,
Crystal from Illinois

Making A Braided Denim Rug

Hi. I just started making braided rugs, but have worked with fabric for years. For 1) figure out how large you want your braid to be then cut your strips. I'm guessing 2 inches width will work well. If the braid is too small then it takes so much more time which means less rugs. And 2) sew your strips together and roll them around a thin piece of fabric as like a wheel, then tie together with the ends of the thin fabric. When braiding, fold the raw edges inside, or fold in thirds to have a bit of fray with wear. Braid and sew, and braid and sew some more until done. (01/17/2005)

By the rug lady

Crocheted Blue Jeans Rug
Crocheted Blue Jeans Rug
Crafts Recycled CraftsJanuary 26, 2010
custom bleached denim with an intricate design
Bleaching Denim
The back pocket of blue jeans.
Softening Stiff Denim
Plastic Bag Rug
Making a Rug from Plastic Bags
Denim Wallet
Making a Denim Wallet