Air Out New Shower Curtain Before Hanging

We bought a new plastic shower liner, used inside fabric curtain. You should not hang up in the bathroom, as it gives off harmful chemicals. So what we did was hang the liner in the outside garage for 10 days.

By Sally from Buffalo, NY

Great idea. I hung my shower liner and we lived with the smell for 5 days! Wish I would have thought of it.

Mahalo, Judy Hawaii

Good tip! For those who don't have a place to hang it outside to air out, washing in the washing machine with laundry soap in cold water and then hang, without drying, in the bathroom works too.

What kind of smell does it have? I have never noticed any of my shower liners having a smell to them. Thanks for the advice.

I just wash them. I notice the smell and it is awful, vinyl and plastic.

In the 70's I lived in the deep South and my white shower liner got terrible mold on it. I was taking it down and scrubbing it on the patio table every weekend.

I ended up reading in a super cleaning book to toss it in the washer with detergent and a cup of baking soda, I figured it would come out in shreds but I was wrong. It came out sparkling white and not a tear. Not only that it didn't get mold on it for months.

For forty years I have been tossing my shower liners in the washer and they come out fresh and clean with no smell.

PS I have major allergies so I do use unscented everything.

I am sorry to inform all of you with plastic shower curtains, airing them out is the least of your problems. They emit p.c.b.'s and other cancer causing chemicals when hot water hits them (when you are showering ) and these chemicals are also "hormone disrupters". They lower fertility in men and women, and mess with your thyroid gland. So your best solution is to buy a polyester blend shower curtain that you can wash (when you need to clean it ) and you'll never have to buy another one again!

Some of you may also know that microwaving food in plastic containers is another bad idea, for the same reason, the most un-pronounce-able chemicals are released when the containers are heated up and your food is infused with those toxins. Here's to being thrifty and healthy!

Cleaning a Shower Curtain
Cleaning a Shower Curtain
Health & Beauty AdviceNovember 17, 2009
Shower Curtain Rod
Uses for Shower Curtain Rods
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure