Money Walnuts For Christmas Ornaments

Raising three children by myself made money very tight, especially at Christmas, so I was always trying to come up with new ideas which would stretch a dollar. One year, while cracking walnuts, I came up with the idea of using the walnut shells for tree ornaments. I carefully separated the halves, put money in them, a dollar down to a nickle, then glued them back together using a paper clip for a hanger. Imagine the surprised faces when the kids "cracked" the walnuts.

By Paulette from Myrtle Beach, SC

I used to do this - but put fortunes inside instead of money - I called them "fortunuts". If you use a thin wedge in the "hole" end of the nut, slip it in and turn it like a key - you are more likely to get a consistent split down the seam with less cracking. In fact, Japanese walnut crackers are small aluminum pieces shaped like hearts that you slip in and twist.

Holidays and Parties Christmas GiftsJune 15, 2007
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Boy Dressed as Christmas Elf
Making a Christmas Elf Costume
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments
Fabric Can Lid Ornaments Finished
Tin Can Christmas Ornaments